Krill or Salmon oil for Delilah's nose?

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Delilah has been getting her usual nose drops for the immflamation in the missing/ deformed side of her nose. They are eye drops that she gets in her nose for the steroid that are in them. I don't have the bottle on me right now but they are neomycin, polymyxin b sulfates and dexamethasone if I remember that right. :lol3:

Well the drops don't seem to be working as well as they used to. Her nose seems pretty closed and she sounds wheezy. It is not her lungs just her nose. I was curious if maybe krill oil might help her or would salmon oil even possibly help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you want to try an oil as a soothing remedicum, olive oil of qood quality is often used.

I dont know anything about krill oil and very little of salmon oil, they are perhaps even better.

Good luck!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have no idea about your question, but I was thinking just the other day it seemed a long time since I've seen a photo of the delightful Delilah... 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Delilah has been getting her usual nose drops for the immflamation in the missing/ deformed side of her nose. They are eye drops that she gets in her nose for the steroid that are in them. I don't have the bottle on me right now but they are neomycin, polymyxin b sulfates and dexamethasone if I remember that right.

Well the drops don't seem to be working as well as they used to. Her nose seems pretty closed and she sounds wheezy. It is not her lungs just her nose. I was curious if maybe krill oil might help her or would salmon oil even possibly help.
Are you talking about putting it in her food, or rubbing it on her nose?  Seriously, since currently you are putting the other stuff IN her nose, am wondering if that's what you would do with the Krill or Salmon oil?  And I really have no idea if rubbing it on would have any benefit, but putting it on her food certainly couldn't hurt.  (but don't know how it could actually help with the inflammation,but you never know.  Many foods have such different healing qualities.  I know Krill oil is really good for your brain, and that's pretty close to your nose

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be in her food:lol3: I don't think she would tolerate me squeezing out oil from a capsule, she hates me even putting the one drop in her nose as it is. But can you blame her, I wouldn't like it either. I thought I had read that it was good for inflammation, and helps with arthritis. So i was curious if it might help with her nose inflammation.

I did but some new pictures up in the fur pictures forum. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/245301/penelope-and-delilah/60

There are also pictures of them with the Christmas tree up too. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/252207/penelope-and-delilahs-first-christmas-pictures-with-the-tree

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, yes, you're right!  Krill oil is supposed to be good for inflammation, just not sure if it's that kind of inflammation or not.  I just ordered a bottle of it today to put on my little ones' raw food, but not because of inflammation or anything...just because it's supposed to be good for them.

Why not give it a try and see what happens.  As I said, it certainly can't hurt her.

And I LOVE the Christmas tree pix!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to use something topically, coconut oil is supposed to have antibacterial properties and helps with dryness. For internal use, I think krill oil sounds good ;).

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I will try it. I have to figure out a dose for her. She is still so small, she is about 3 1/2 pounds now. I can't seem to find it now, but when I was reading about it, I thought I read that you should give vitamin e with it. If this is true does anyone know how much?

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has a splendid set of whiskers!
:lol3: I love her whiskers. They are so long and stand out being white against her fur. But funny thing is both her and Penelope have black whiskers only over their right eyes while all of the others are white.

So I was looking at krill oil to try and they come in 300mg capsules. Would that be a good dose. Or should I look for something larger and then I can give it to Boo my 11 year old cat too. Then I could split one up between Penelope and Delilah and then Boo gets one on his own.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You might pm LDG or Carolina about dosage and whether or not you should give it with Vit E .  I think they both give it to their furballs

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The 300mg krill oil capsule is perfect for her. An adult dose is 500mg, and I give that to Flowerbelle, who is 7 pounds. What you may want to do is put most of it on her food, and give a few drops to her sister. It's good for all kitties. :)

But I'm thinking that for the inflammation associated with respiratory issues, Evening Primrose oil is usually recommended - in the same dose. I think it only comes in 500mg caps, but as it's great for skin & coat too, again, you could just give Delilah half and her sister the other half (or 2/3 to Delilah and 1/3 to Penelope).

Can't wait to go see her/their pics! :clap:

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I will look into getting evening primrose too. Do I need to give her vitamin e as well or just the oils.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you still feeding them raw? If so, the diet is likely high in selenium, so no, no extra E would be needed. If not, then it'd be best to add a little bit. I'll have to go look it up.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the moment they are back to eating canned for a while. Long story, but a lot of changes have happened in my life. As bad as it might sound, for convenience I have gone back to canned for a little while. Things have been so crazy there would be times I would forget to prepare the raw and would just end up pulling out canned. I just moved and I know there are places here somewhere that sell commercial raw so I am going to look for it when I get a little more time, so that will help me transition back. I am still feeding them grain free and I do plan to switch them back to raw after things start to settle back down.

But they are eating a 5.5oz can a day. I picked up 300mg krill oil, and I found 500mg evening primrose oil.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No worries, hun, life happens! :hugs:

Well, here are the numbers:

(1000g is one kg)

With 28.35g per oz, that means there are 35.7oz per kg. Using a 5.5oz can of food, that is 6.4 days of food to get to a kg of food. So at 300mg of krill oil a day, times 6.4 days of food, that's 1,924mg of krill oil per kg of food (which is 1.9g of krill oil per kg of food). The study recommends "less than 5 iu per g of added fish oil per kg diet." So that's an additional 9.6 iu of vitamin E every 6.4 days. That's a tiny amount.

The options are - buy a dry vitamin E and figure out how to use it. Or buy the Solgar liquid vitamin E - which is 20 iu per DROP - which would mean adding ONE drop to their food basically once every two weeks.

...or you could just not worry about it, given the amount of vitamin E recommended is so small, and the food probably has above the recommended amount of vitamin E added already. That's what I would do. :)

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I will just not worry about it. They are eating brands like blue buffalo wilderness, wellness, and merrick before grain. I would think they should have enough vitamin e. Plus I am planning on transitioning them back to raw so I won't need it then.