Korea cat quarantine

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I flew to korea with my three cats on Tuesday. It was a sudden and unavoidable move (probably permanent) and I didnt have time to get their rabies titer results, which meant they’d have to be taken to a gov facility for quarantining upon arrival in korea. I briefly saw them at the airport in korea - they were traumatized from the 15 hr plane ride and one had pooped/peed/vomitted in his carrier - before they were carted away to be taken to the quarantine center. They will be there for 7 days, I can pick them up when their titer results come out on Monday.

I am allowed to visit them once during that time. I visited them yesterday (wednesday) and was horrified at the conditions. Initially, they told me they would bring the cats out to the visiting room but I insisted on seeing how my cats were being housed, and they reluctantly let me through. There are 20+ cats in tiny metal crates stacked on top of each other. Each crate is just about big enough for a small litterbox and a wooden bamboo mat type of thing (i assume it’s so that feces and pee will not accumulate and will fall through the slits), which must be incredibly uncomfortable for the cats to lie on, given that there are large gaps between the planks.

When I entered the quarantine building, a man (who feeds the cats) came out from an air conditioned room. Meanwhile, the cats are kept in a non- air conditioned, dark room with a tiny window near the ceiling and one weak fan. The temperature in the room felt to be around 78 degrees - outside weather was 73 degrees but the room felt hotter because there is no breeze and the cats radiate heat.

Most shocking was the state my cats were in. Two of my three cats (the medium hair ones) were completely unresponsive, they were lying with their heads on the ground and wouldnt move an inch when i called them, which is extremely unusual. They looked incredibly lethargic and one barely managed to move his eyeballs to look up at me. The man told me they hadnt eaten, drank, or used the litter box since they arrived at the facility 24 hours ago.

I don’t know what to do. The cats have to stay another 6 days and the weather is forecasted to be 78 degrees the rest of the week and 85 degrees on the weekend. I truly think my cats will die. No amount of pleading would get those selfish sobs to turn on the ac.
Never mind the airborne diseases my cats can get from the other cats, I just want them to make it out alive. I have seen one of my cats get heatstroke before, i dont know why these ignorant government sobs seem to think cats are immune to heat. Im posting here in my desperation and frustration. I know theres nothing I can do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Deep breath. Your cats will need you to be calm, if you can. I’m sure you’ve tried everything, but (and this is me throwing spaghetti at the walls):

1. Calling your embassy?

2. Yes they are sobs but that’s what you have to work with. Can anyone there give your cats water intravenously?

3. Were it me, I’d probably camp at the airport, trying every single official there, or walking about with a “Are you a veterinarian?” sign.

4. Can you buy a fan and give it to them?

5. Not knowing anything at all about Korean airports can you threaten (call their superiors) bribe (nice sandwich, get on their good side?) or protest (Get a journalist to put the conditions in a paper or Facebook this?). I’m not necessarily encouraging you into civil disobedience, but if all the other pet owners there are struggling w/ similar conditions, shaming these officials into better ones by publicizing what they are doing may have an effect.

Maybe others on this site have more logical answers, like, are there ways you yourself can get your cats hydrated? My dad was very good in these type situations: sometimes just causing Tumult in a public space gets results, just so you stop.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Abc12345 Abc12345 I don't speak the language, so you may have more luck than me, but a Google search came up with this.

http://www.koreanlii.or.kr/w/index.php/Animal_Protection_Act?ckattempt=1

I suggest you contact every animal welfare group you can and ask for advice.

Can you go back to the facility and demand to be allowed to give your cats water and liquid food with a syringe? I don't know how it works in Korea, but in Japan if you let it be known that you are talking to a lawyer it usually gets things moving.

Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Deep breath. Your cats will need you to be calm, if you can. I’m sure you’ve tried everything, but (and this is me throwing spaghetti at the walls):

1. Calling your embassy?

2. Yes they are sobs but that’s what you have to work with. Can anyone there give your cats water intravenously?

3. Were it me, I’d probably camp at the airport, trying every single official there, or walking about with a “Are you a veterinarian?” sign.

4. Can you buy a fan and give it to them?

5. Not knowing anything at all about Korean airports can you threaten (call their superiors) bribe (nice sandwich, get on their good side?) or protest (Get a journalist to put the conditions in a paper or Facebook this?). I’m not necessarily encouraging you into civil disobedience, but if all the other pet owners there are struggling w/ similar conditions, shaming these officials into better ones by publicizing what they are doing may have an effect.

Maybe others on this site have more logical answers, like, are there ways you yourself can get your cats hydrated? My dad was very good in these type situations: sometimes just causing Tumult in a public space gets results, just so you stop.
Thank you for the suggestions. A nearby vet is visiting today to take their blood samples for the rabies titer (the titer takes 2-3 days here, hence why I said my cats will be released Monday). I’ll ask him to do a checkup and IV if necessary. In fact, I was able to get permission to visit again today to help hold the cats while the vet takes the samples, because I told them my cats are hostile to vets.

I doubt they would install a fan if I brought one in. They do have ac installed in that room so the problem isnt lack of equipment but rather electricity costs. When I visit today, I’ll ask if they’ll turn on the ac if I pay extra to cover electricity.

I did try threatening/ bribing them the last time I was there. I asked if they would take responsibility if any of my cats died, and of course they gave a roundabout answer, saying that they are not vets and they can only do a daily visual check for any strange signs. Animal rights are nonexistent here in korea, so I doubt they would take any accountability. When I asked if any animals had died while in quarantine, they gave an answer which literally translates to “probably no.” I hinted at paying more to expedite the process and it was like talking to a wall.

Today is Friday here in Korea, so there are three and a half more days to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Abc12345 Abc12345 I don't speak the language, so you may have more luck than me, but a Google search came up with this.

http://www.koreanlii.or.kr/w/index.php/Animal_Protection_Act?ckattempt=1

I suggest you contact every animal welfare group you can and ask for advice.

Can you go back to the facility and demand to be allowed to give your cats water and liquid food with a syringe? I don't know how it works in Korea, but in Japan if you let it be known that you are talking to a lawyer it usually gets things moving.

Please keep us posted.
That sounds like a good idea, I’ll bring up lawyer when I call them next time. Unfortunately, any laws here that purportedly protect animal rights is superficial and just for appearances. There is no such thing as animal rights. But I know there are organizations fighting for animal rights so I will certainly try to reach out to them to bring this issue to their awareness.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for keeping us updated. At least they are letting you back in with this other vet. Animal rights anywhere take time to get established, through bluster, kindness, logic, persistence…perhaps your actions here help to chip away at it. In any case a healthy reminder to all of us that if you can and have the time, get all papers in order before you go! I am sure holding your cats meant a great deal to you both, and was calming.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I’ll ask him to do a checkup and IV if necessary. In fact, I was able to get permission to visit again today to help hold the cats while the vet takes the samples, because I told them my cats are hostile to vets.
That's a good idea. An IV would certainly help, and you could talk to the vet about your concerns. Fingers crossed that you get a friendly vet.

:crossfingers:

Please keep us posted, I'll be thinking of you and your cats all weekend.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
hey there. just wondering how it all turned out, and hoping for the best? 🍀