Korat Or No?

jadallyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Sam, a neighborhood cat who got stuck in a tree and came home with me after not being claimed. He just had his wellness check and we found out that he's already neutered. Just don't know what breed he is! I'd like to know for sure for when I enroll his pet insurance.

I've been told Korat but I know they're rare. He's really cool looking, big face like a wildcat and it's very distinct. He's the friendliest most affectionate cat and now that he's living indoors it's clear he is definitely not an outdoor cat! Loves his room and has no desire to go outside.

Can anyone tell if he's a Korat or a

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I would lean more toward a Russian Blue lookalike than a Korat lookalike; Sam really has a pronounced muzzle, close to the medium wedge shaped head of the Russian Blue, although his body type is closer to the Korat. Without pedigree papers, he would be called a blue Domestic Shorthair. He is a striking cat!

Wags

My Niki
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a lovely colour coat. I agree with the above re body shape being more Korat and his nose 'pad' seems heart shaped like a korat. Are his eyes green? Photos are so hard to tell, amber tinge is acceptable and eye color may not settle in a korat until 2 years. That said the head shape is a bit wedged as stated above. What colour are Sam's paw pads?

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's certainly handsome! He seems to have a lovely brownish tinge to his grey coat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jadallyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a lovely colour coat. I agree with the above re body shape being more Korat and his nose 'pad' seems heart shaped like a korat. Are his eyes green? Photos are so hard to tell, amber tinge is acceptable and eye color may not settle in a korat until 2 years. That said the head shape is a bit wedged as stated above. What colour are Sam's paw pads?

His paw pads are pink and his eyes are green with that goldish look sometimes. He's also pretty big, he weighs about 15lbs

Wags

My Niki
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pink not grey pads in a grey coated cat is more a pure bred trait - below is a photo of a korats paws, My Niki (RB) has mauve pads too. If the pads are distinctively pink (not mauve-ish) then he may have American (or British) shorthair genes, but they have a rounder flatter face. Sam is quite large and Russians are usually a fair bit smaller esp American bred ones that are classed as a small cat. Its hard to tell but I'd be leaning towrds a korat cross with the eyes, paws and size but as earlier stated the head is more wedge shape than a classic korat. I really love his face - very majestic.

Attachments

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with more of a Russian blue look a like, but nonetheless a beautiful cat. His face looks like a little blue lion. It's so rare to find one with such beautiful head shape