Knocks over bowl and takes apart fountain

Andimms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is fascinated by water, and we quickly learned that a bowl wasn't an option because he slides it around and knocks it over, making a mess. Then we got him one of those bowls with a self-filling tank thinking it would be heavy enough that he couldn't move it, but he moved that too even when we weighed it down with a 35lb dumbell and then started jumping on the tank which would make the bowl overfill. I attempted to solve the issue by getting him a water fountain, but after just two days he's figured out how to knock off the stainless steel lid and that is a problem now too. I tried taping it down but he chews at the tape and I'm afraid this could be harmful for him. I feel like I'm at my wit's end. I have wood flooring and having water on the floor constantly is not an option, and when I would put his bowl on an absorbent mat he just flip it within the hour and he definitely wasn't getting enough to drink. Does anyone have any fountains that can't be opened that easily, or another solution that I may not be aware of? I attached a picture so you can see the sort of fountain I have.
C78D6E3C-D0A9-4666-8F45-60119795A091.jpeg

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Not electric and not fountain type, but did you try this one?

1609057073981.png

Or this one. My cat uses also this type:

1609057104534.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Andimms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not electric and not fountain type, but did you try this one?

View attachment 364031

Or this one. My cat uses also this type:

View attachment 364032
Yes, the first type is what I meant by the self filling kind that he'd jump on and spill everywhere even when we attached a dumbell on it with zip ties lol. (Dumbell not attached in following pic, but you can see how big it was and it still didn't work!)
A3BFE6DC-CEE8-4000-9854-896A81F55105.jpeg

The second is something I've never seen before, but my question would be how does it attach to the wall? I rent and cannot screw anything into the walls.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the first type is what I meant by the self filling kind that he'd jump on and spill everywhere even when we attached a dumbell on it with zip ties lol. (Dumbell not attached in following pic, but you can see how big it was and it still didn't work!)
View attachment 364034
The second is something I've never seen before, but my question would be how does it attach to the wall? I rent and cannot screw anything into the walls.
And he is sitting on top of that drinking container. LOL. So amusing. :)

but my question would be how does it attach to the wall?
Can't you make a make-shift stand or something, or attach it on a sturdy wooden furniture?

Andimms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And he is sitting on top of that drinking container. LOL. So amusing. :)

Can't you make a make-shift stand or something, or attach it on a sturdy wooden furniture?
Yeah, that could be an option! I just hoped I could find a fountain that was better put together since he seems so amused by running water. He's been genuinely enthused with the fountain and it seemed like I'd finally found a solution that we were both happy with, until he began taking it apart. :confused2:

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that could be an option! I just hoped I could find a fountain that was better put together since he seems so amused by running water. He's been genuinely enthused with the fountain and it seemed like I'd finally found a solution that we were both happy with, until he began taking it apart. :confused2:
Your cat is the same as one of mine, my Graham. She also knocks almost everything in her path. But she is more fond of knocking down small appliances and TV. :lol:

Goodluck. I think the best option for you right now is the 2nd one. Attach it on a wall or furniture. Unless he decides again to cling on it like a monkey cat. LOL.

:redheartpump::redheartpump:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put the fountain in a tray of some kind to contain any spills. Boot tray, shallow storage container, etc. Some people put a fountain in the tub ./ shower of an extra bathroom that isn't used.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, Andimms Andimms ...your cat is amazing. :blush:
He's like a little "Macgyver" cat...in figuring out how to take things apart.
I love your photos. He's like, "I'll figure this out, ...just give me a few hours." So smart. :einstein:

Seriously, though...along the lines of what the above members have already said....maybe you can attach the 'water bottle' to a chair with zip ties.

Or else place that awesome looking fountain into a 'clear storage tote' or into an 'under-bed storage tote' like they sell at walmart, home depot etc.
Clear - Storage Containers - Storage & Organization - The Home Depot
Just cut a huge panel out the side of one, and file down the sharp edges to allow access.
Some people place open cat doors on the sides of these containers...so the cat can enter and leave....but the spillage would be contained.

Another option would be a DIY project similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072W42NT8/?tag=thecatsite
where you make a 'raised wooden box feeder bowls' for cats...in which you could still use stainless steel bowls and use the weighted down dumb-bell....so your 'scientist cat' could not tip the whole thing over.
(You still could put this raised wooden box in the 'clear storage tote' in case he does figure out how to spill it, or likes to play with water.)

They also sell indoor-outdoor carpet at home depot....which may be okay for containing water.
It looks like fake grass and does come in brown, too, but not sure how practical it would be.

I would really like to know your cat's name?
And does he like to put his paws in water and swirl it around?

Andimms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, Andimms Andimms ...your cat is amazing. :blush:
He's like a little "Macgyver" cat...in figuring out how to take things apart.
I love your photos. He's like, "I'll figure this out, ...just give me a few hours." So smart. :einstein:

Seriously, though...along the lines of what the above members have already said....maybe you can attach the 'water bottle' to a chair with zip ties.

Or else place that awesome looking fountain into a 'clear storage tote' or into an 'under-bed storage tote' like they sell at walmart, home depot etc.
Clear - Storage Containers - Storage & Organization - The Home Depot
Just cut a huge panel out the side of one, and file down the sharp edges to allow access.
Some people place open cat doors on the sides of these containers...so the cat can enter and leave....but the spillage would be contained.

Another option would be a DIY project similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072W42NT8/?tag=thecatsite
where you make a 'raised wooden box feeder bowls' for cats...in which you could still use stainless steel bowls and use the weighted down dumb-bell....so your 'scientist cat' could not tip the whole thing over.
(You still could put this raised wooden box in the 'clear storage tote' in case he does figure out how to spill it, or likes to play with water.)

They also sell indoor-outdoor carpet at home depot....which may be okay for containing water.
It looks like fake grass and does come in brown, too, but not sure how practical it would be.

I would really like to know your cat's name?
And does he like to put his paws in water and swirl it around?
Hi friend! Your response has been most helpful. I think I'll have to get a large container to at least make sure if he does tip over a fountain, it won't go on the wood flooring. I just don't want to deprive him of the fountain which has clearly made him so happy since we gave it to him. As for your question, MacGyver's first name is Tubby. He was a rescue at six months old and he had a family that just couldn't pay for him, along with six other cats, according to his files, which makes me think that his attention seeking behavior and overly affectionate nature is due to being neglected as a baby or unfortunately having to adjust to being a single cat. I really hope it's neither, and he's just quirky. I think my best bet is to either try a container for the fountain or to devise a contraption for a water bottle. Thankfully, my boyfriend works on cell phone towers and is quite handy. This is our first cat so we appreciate all of the input.

He's a funny one. His favorite toy is a little puff, and he likes to drop them into his water. We first realized he liked water when he became entranced with the drip coming from our tub. Go figure, a girl that doesn't like cats adopts a cat that loves water.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a funny one. His favorite toy is a little puff, and he likes to drop them into his water. We first realized he liked water when he became entranced with the drip coming from our tub. Go figure, a girl that doesn't like cats adopts a cat that loves water.
You are hilarious. But I think so is Tubby...(macgyver in disguise)...or else a brilliant cat that likes doing 'quality control' testing of all cat -fountain and water dishes, plus of course 'cat toys' to test..if they survive being dumped in water.
It doesn't sound like their is a dull moment in your household. :lol:

Your cat is either 'drowning his toys' ...or "cleaning them" ...so you don't have to. :spew:

I wonder if you email some companies...if they would send you 'free samples' to test their 'cat toy-water related' products.

"Go figure, a girl that doesn't like cats adopts a cat that loves water." Oh my gosh...I think this was my laugh for the day. :biggrin:
There have been many, many people that have said these words...and then end up falling into complete and utter love of cats.

You have your very own built in entertainment and training master...in that cat of yours. Mostly it just makes any ordinary day less dull and more enriched when people have cats and dogs. (My cats are way more intelligent than my labrador retriever dog...but we don't tell him that. They're best friends so all is good.)

Hi friend! Your response has been most helpful. I think I'll have to get a large container to at least make sure if he does tip over a fountain, it won't go on the wood flooring. I just don't want to deprive him of the fountain which has clearly made him so happy since we gave it to him.
Mostly, I read your thread last night, but couldn't find any photos of the 'raised wooden box' that we had to build for a previous dog who loved to tip over his water dish, too.
There are a lot of "diy projects" online...so I am sure you'll find something for your bf to build.
But maybe you should design it first...just so you work out all the angles.

Basically, I really liked Maria Bayote Maria Bayote 's idea of the water bottle. I think that would be awesome if you could train a cat to drink from that. But I was more in line with what LTS3 LTS3 wrote about placing the water dish in the bathtub, or having something underneath the fountain, ...to contain any spills.

I will be awaiting any "future updates" of ...anything that works....since I do kind of think that Tubby is going to try and foil or dismantle all the plans. :cool2: But hey...you won't know until you try everything.
As for your question, MacGyver's first name is Tubby. He was a rescue at six months old and he had a family that just couldn't pay for him, along with six other cats, according to his files, which makes me think that his attention seeking behavior and overly affectionate nature is due to being neglected as a baby or unfortunately having to adjust to being a single cat. I really hope it's neither, and he's just quirky. I think my best bet is to either try a container for the fountain or to devise a contraption for a water bottle. Thankfully, my boyfriend works on cell phone towers and is quite handy. This is our first cat so we appreciate all of the input.
Aww, you are both amazing for adopting Tubby.
It does sound like he likes to play and was used to other cats to tumble with, but you never know...he also does sound 'quirky' too, ...and super smart...so you might just have to find some more 'interactive games' and 'cat puzzles' and such, to keep his mind occupied.

If you are crafty, ...you can make your own, too.
Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats

(Ps. many of the ideas I get do come from reading other cat site threads, so a lot of the thanks has to go 'to all us cat site members who share advice and ideas together'. It makes it all a 'team effort' in our own adventures with cats.
I know that your thread will also help others who definitely have "water loving cats"....and "who like to take apart fountains".
Though I have not read many of the "take apart the fountain kind of cat"..hahah) :blush:

pps. more photos of Tubby and his shenanigans is appreciated....since I couldn't figure out how a cat could tip a water fountain over that was attached to a dumb-bell. That photo says it all. :wink:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's what I do with my water crazy cats - go to Walmart and get a boot tray and put the water bowl on it. Don't fill it too high and use a stainless steel bowl that cannot be tipped.