Kneading/Sucking blanket?

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little girl Iris is getting so big! Seems like she has grown twice the size she was since we got her a few weeks ago. She is probably around 8-9 weeks old I'm guessing now. We are having a problem with her that I am not sure how to fix. (if we even can?) We were keeping her in the bathroom at night mainly because of a flea issue we were having but that is much better now. We tried to let her sleep in our room with us once, but she starting sucking on my boyfriends hair! Haha sounds funny but he was not happy about the lack of sleep that night View media item 312352

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kneading behavior is pretty normal with kittens. Suckling on blankets, skin, hair and clothing is often something that a kitten will do for comfort because it is what they used to do while nursing milk. My 7 month old kitten Shadow still does this. She will often sit on my chest or in my lap kneading with her paws before she goes to sleep and sometimes she will still suck on my neck or what feels like her licking my hair. Some cats never grow out of it, others do. If the behavior bothers you try to discourage her from doing it while she's in the act gently stop her. I let my kitten do this as it doesn't bother me personally and it seems to be comforting to her. Kittens who are away from their mother earlier seem to do it more than others, mine was orphaned at barely 3 weeks old and even though much older now she still is very needy compared to how my other cats were when they were her age.

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The best thing would probably be to try to get her to suckle on the blanket instead and this is probably best accomplished while she is doing it on your boyfriend's hair try to give her the blanket to use instead and see if that works.

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have a 7 month old boy who still sucks on my earlobe and the skin between my thumb and forefinger (strange little cat). i don't let him near my neck anymore because he gave me a hickey the last time and i'm too old for that, lol. suckling can last for years, idk why some cats outgrow it and others don't? none of his littermates who were all girls did that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! I will definitely keep the blanket around if she tries to do it again. I find it so adorable, but my bf not so much when it's his head!

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
btw, you can buy a cat blanket that actually has a fake nipple sewn on it. i saw it on-line but i can't recall what it's called...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

btw, you can buy a cat blanket that actually has a fake nipple sewn on it. i saw it on-line but i can't recall what it's called...
Wow really? I will try to look it up, thanks!