Kneading And Urinating?

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a baby that sometimes cries. Sometimes i sing to my baby.

When my baby is crying for more than a couple moments my older cat gives a low and frantic repeated cry and runs low to the ground to my baby. To me this means he’s concerned. He (without nails) bats at the baby and me.

If he can’t get to the baby he will knead a soft blanket and sometimes the mewing continues.

If I sing he behaves the same way (maybe he thinks I’m crying?).

He started leaving me wet and bad smelling wet spots where he is kneading.

??? Comments??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is this cat? Has he ever peed like that before? Sounds like he is upset about the baby crying, and he also correlates your singing with that as well. You are going to have to spend time with him doing things that he finds happy and enjoyable to distract him from being upset.

Make sure whatever he is peeing on gets thoroughly cleaned so as not to help encourage him to continue to pee on it over and over again. Soak it in the washer with baking soda and detergent, then wash normally. Before you put it in the dryer, see if you can still smell the urine, if so, start all over again but this time with white vinegar and detergent soak.

Cats And Babies: All Your Questions Answered!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although I know that this is driving you crazy, there is something terribly sweet about his reaction to the baby being upset and crying. The bright spot is that the crying will taper off as the baby grows.

I know that the kneading is a self-comforting action. It may be that he becomes so relieved by it that he...relieves himself.