Klinefelter Syndrome male Calicos

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom was watching YouTube about California condors and the guy said something about the birds having ZZ and ZW instead of XX and XY which lead me to look up cats chromosomes which led me to about male calico/forties

What I learned (correct me if I'm wrong)
The black gene and the orange gene never goes on the same X chromosome so for a male to be a calico they would have to have XXY chromosomes which means they would have Klinefelter Syndrome ,in a female calico one X has an orange/red gene and the other X has the black/grey gene,

In a human male if he has Klinefelter Syndrome he would have to have XXY chromosomes which would give him female characteristics and health issues,
so my guess is the male cat with Klinefelter Syndrome female characteristics is the calico coat along with infertility along with other health problems like in the humans with it

I actually made a male calico so that means he had it, and I know of a guy in person with Klinefelter Syndrome so basically if he was a cat he would be a calico lol

Anyone here have a male calico if so did you know about this?
I didn't know where to post this so if this is in the wrong spot I apologize

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do not have a male calico, but since coat color genetics fascinate me, I was aware of it. About 1 in 3000 calicos are male. Of those, about the same percentage are NOT sterile. The XXY causes some abnormalities in the genitalia that renders them sterile. Most of them live otherwise healthy, happy lives.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have a male calico, but since coat color genetics fascinate me, I was aware of it. About 1 in 3000 calicos are male. Of those, about the same percentage are NOT sterile. The XXY causes some abnormalities in the genitalia that renders them sterile. Most of them live otherwise healthy, happy lives.
I didn't mean to make it sound like all male calico have XXY ,I'm aware allot aren't but the ones I was referring too was XXY which causes most if not all to be sterile, I'm still learning on this ,

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, all male calicos are XXY, but a TINY number of them are not sterile. VERY tiny. I should have been clearer.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
all male calicos are XXY
Not all, actually. Apparently some are chimeras (when non-identical twins merge) and therefore don't have any particular issues.

This fine boy is Dawntreader Texas Calboy, a Maine Coon. I suppose he's actually a torbie but same thing, haha. His breeder thought he was XXY so she let him roam the house with the ladies. . .until he was 7 months old and the ladies started getting pregnant! So she had him tested and he's a chimera. He's caused quite a ruckus in the cat show world.
download (8).jpeg

Inside the Cat Show Controversy That Can Teach Us About America

Momofcalicos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have a 4YO male dilute calico. It was just brought to my attention about the XXY and I’m trying to learn all I can about how to care for him.
0A2505BB-FE51-48AE-95E5-279AFDA11988.jpeg