Kitty's swollen stomach wont go down

zedzulu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5 month old domestic medium hair who developed at slight bulge in her abdomen about a week ago. My vet gave me 2 doses of Pryantel- one to be taken immediatly, and the second in 3 weeks. After the first dose, I have not noticed any improvements to her condition- the abdomen may even be slightly larger. In her first 2 bowel movements after taking the medicine, I was able to see a few thin white worms, however I have not seen anything like that since. The stool is otherwise completely normal.

I did call the vet back after a few days to report this, and they stated that the abdomen swelling may not go down until after a few weeks of the SECOND dose. I just find it hard to believe that she is getting better if she is not passing any worms that I can see.

Has anyone had experience using Pyrantel for deworming? When did you first notice the abdomen swelling start to go down?

Thank you

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zedzulu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think so- we have had her for for 2 and a half months, and before that, she was in a good foster home for some time. She saw the vet for a check up on august 7th but I am not sure if that is something they would have noticed.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think so- we have had her for for 2 and a half months, and before that, she was in a good foster home for some time. She saw the vet for a check up on august 7th but I am not sure if that is something they would have noticed.
No male cats in the house? She is not allowed out? The vet visit was a month ago which is a long time ago when it comes to a cat pregnancy.

zedzulu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no males and she never goes out. I probably should have also mentioned that she was spayed in mid/late June.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That swelling is extreme. Has the vet seen that picture? if she has worms that bad, she definitely needs two doses and you might not see any worms, though they are killed. What your vet gave you DOES NOT kill tapeworms, so she will need to be treated for that too. I get a prescription from the vet and order Profender which kills ALL worms and does it in one application high up on the neck.

zedzulu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: We took Lulu to the ER this afternoon where they found a large amount of fluid in her abdomen, as a result of FIP, which currently has no treatment. We brought her home to make her as comfortable as possible before returning tomorrow.

Thank you to those who replied and my condolences to anyone else who has a gone through this as well.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she was not spayed pregnancy would be the only thing that makes sense to me.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update: We took Lulu to the ER this afternoon where they found a large amount of fluid in her abdomen, as a result of FIP, which currently has no treatment. We brought her home to make her as comfortable as possible before returning tomorrow.

Thank you to those who replied and my condolences to anyone else who has a gone through this as well.
I’m sorry, FIP is a terrible disease.
If you’re interested: FIP Is Treatable Now?