Kitty's Oral Health Hygiene While Feeding Raw

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know whether to post this here in the raw forum or the general cat health forum but my cat has poor oral health genetics and has to go in for a cleaning every 2-3 years.   I'll still have to take him in for tartar and plaque removal but is there anything I need to watch out for now that he's on raw and wet food only?  I've read different things from different sites about wet food being much better w/ slower/less tartar buildup but don't know if this is really the case...What do you do to keep your cat's teeth clean and healthy while on a raw/wet food only diet?

I also read that it's good to exercise a cat's jaws if they're eating raw/wet food only by giving them raw bones to chew on...is this crucial?  Are there other ways of doing so without raw bones?  I'm very squeamish about handling raw meat/foods, which is why transitioning to raw has been a more significant lifestyle change for me than my cat!   I'm the furthest thing from being a cook - and am all about the ready made stuff that doesn't require serious food handling so...what other options are there?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What do you do to keep your cat's teeth clean and healthy while on a raw/wet food only diet?
I brush my cat's teeth
Both cats are fed raw. My Aby gets his teeth brushed every day because his breed is prone to dental issues. My other cat only toleratres brushing every other day. The vet has commented on how healthy my cats' teeth are
My Aby does have a small bit of tartar but the vet isn't concerned about it since the teeth are brushed daily.
 I also read that it's good to exercise a cat's jaws if they're eating raw/wet food only by giving them raw bones to chew on...is this crucial?  Are there other ways of doing so without raw bones?  I'm very squeamish about handling raw meat/foods, which is why transitioning to raw has been a more significant lifestyle change for me than my cat!   I'm the furthest thing from being a cook - and am all about the ready made stuff that doesn't require serious food handling so...what other options are there?
 Instead of bones, you can give raw chicken hearts and gizzards for the cat to chew on. Hearts and gizzards are pretty chewy and dense so your cat's jaw will get a good workout and it will also help with dental health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're so lucky your cat is patient w/ the teeth brushings - do you use a toothbrush or other methods like a "finger brush," tiny sponge, washcloth, etc?

Oh boy...hearts and gizzards...how often and where to purchase?  A butcher shop?  Hare Today?  

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I give my cats chunks of raw chicken, turkey, gizzard etc. You don't have to give bone. Brushing the cats teeth is important. Teeth cleaning every couple years isn't so bad. I think cats , even cats with healthy mouths should have their teeth cleaned periodically. I have had 2 cats with stomatitis. Neither case was due to dental neglect but I will do almost anything to try to prevent dental problems. The raw diet is much better for your cat, all the way around but there is no way we can feed them anything that will take the place of a tooth brushing.. I realize there are some cats that just will rip ya to shreds if you try and those cats, well god bless them,they need yearly dental cleaning.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You're so lucky your cat is patient w/ the teeth brushings - do you use a toothbrush or other methods like a "finger brush," tiny sponge, washcloth, etc?

Oh boy...hearts and gizzards...how often and where to purchase?  A butcher shop?  Hare Today?  
I use the CET mini cat toothbrush.

You can buy gizzards and such from the supermarket or butcher shop. If you already buy raw meat from Hare Today you can also buy gizzards etc from there as well. You can feed them a few times a week.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you don't order from Hare Today, you should be able to find the gizzards and hearts at pretty much any grocery store. They are packaged together, and you usually get mostly gizzards with a few hearts.

promethus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats teeth are fine,

he has figured out how to floss.

He goes to the plastic broom carefully grabs one straw and pulls it through his teeth.

I watched him closely and he does it in different parts of his mouth.