Kitty's first time away from home

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took my Juno (1 yo) to my mother's house last night to try to get her used to it, in advance of when I may need to leave her here during prolonged travel. I decided it might be better to have some practice while I'm here, before leaving her alone with my mother (who she's met before).

I think it's going ok, but she did cry throughout the night (when not sleeping next to me). Never heard this before as she's not very vocal. Is this fairly normal? It nearly broke my heart.

I've got some of her things (blanket, toys, litter box) to help her feel at home. We'll be here one more night before we go home. She still spends a lot of time under the bed in the one room we've established as her safe room, but she toys with coming down the stairs, like she wants to but is still a little scared.

Does it sound like it's going ok? I know cats are attached to their territory but I want her to start thinking of this as a second home while she's still young. When I brought her home for the first time as a kitten, she seemed much more confident in making herself at home.

Jaylin A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All cats will cry and yowl when theyre stressed/scared, especially away from home. You will notice this during vet visits and car rides especially. Get her acclimated to her carrier with a small towel/blanket (somewhere she can go to feel safe), and continue taking things with her scent on them. slowly take her over more and more, but not for very long periods where she might get over stressed and panic to want to get home. its similar to when you first brought them home (use those steps as guidance-- like keeping her in one room at first), keep getting them used to it little by little until eventually theyll be able to handle being there longer.