"Kitty's Favorite" brand?

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found something at the grocery outlet today. They had 5.5 oz cans of something called "Kitty's favorite" cat food. They had 5 varieties, all tuna or tuna with something (crab, mackerel, chicken, shrimp). The ingredients don't sound right, there are no vitamins, taurine. The Tuna flavor says "ingredients: Tuna, water". The rest say "red meat tuna, mackeral (or shrimp or crab or chicken), water".

I bought 7 cans. I think it looks like an awesome food to feed occasionally, no fillers and such, but can't see how this can be a very often thing. I was thinking once a week?

Thoughts?

It was 39 cents a can.

lunitar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do they list any other ingredients?

I would like to see the water and ash content.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it say on the can "for supplemental feeding only" or "not a complete diet"? Usually that's required for that type of food. Sounds like it would be fine as an occasional treat, if your cats are OK with tuna.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by emil

dont be cheap, 39 cents a can means 3rd party food
Do you have any knowledge of the brand that you are basing this comment on? I can't see how it is helpful to the OP.

emil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Do you have any knowledge of the brand that you are basing this comment on? I can't see how it is helpful to the OP.
i know that anything in america that's of low quality is going to cost a lot less.

prittiegirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure about this type of food, but if it's a supplement, probably fine. As for "3rd party food", that's the OP's choice - I say if it's canned something it's better then dehydrated kibble!

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by badkelpie

I found something at the grocery outlet today. They had 5.5 oz cans of something called "Kitty's favorite" cat food. They had 5 varieties, all tuna or tuna with something (crab, mackerel, chicken, shrimp). The ingredients don't sound right, there are no vitamins, taurine. The Tuna flavor says "ingredients: Tuna, water". The rest say "red meat tuna, mackeral (or shrimp or crab or chicken), water".

I bought 7 cans. I think it looks like an awesome food to feed occasionally, no fillers and such, but can't see how this can be a very often thing. I was thinking once a week?

Thoughts?

It was 39 cents a can.
I did a quick research on it and could not come up with much... yet. It sounds like a 3rd party food to me. Does it say who and/or where it is actually manufactured by? Distributed by means pretty much nothing when it comes to 3rd party foods but does it list that as well?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Does it say on the can "for supplemental feeding only" or "not a complete diet"? Usually that's required for that type of food. Sounds like it would be fine as an occasional treat, if your cats are OK with tuna.

There are decent foods found for low cost in the USA ...
.. I use a dye free, artificial flavor free, mostly grain free wet food that runs about 40 cents a can for a 5.5 oz ...

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awesome - Could you tell me what that might be. I'd love to find a decent quality food for that cheap.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found this information from September 2009...I'm not sure if it is the same thing or not anymore, but I doubt they would have made to drastic of changes.

Kittie's Favorite 100% natural tuna cat food
The label says it contains no additives, is gluten free, and is packed from fresh fish.

Ingredients: tuna, water.

Guaranteed analysis:

crude protein min: 16.0%
Crude fat min: 1.5%
Moisture max: 80%
ash max: 3%

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's about what the can's say.

It's 39 cents because it's at the grocery outlet. That's also where I get organic yogurt for 3/1.00. They sometimes have good stuff.

I'm not gonna feed it all the time, but I think they'll like it as a treat. Dogs too!

Now I have to find my can opener, you don't get pull top cans for 39 cents, apparently

seattlecheryl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitty's favorite brand tuna cat food sounds good, but it's made in Thailand. I did some research and the mercury levels in tuna from outside the US are a lot higher than what comes from here. Tuna is already in the eat once a week category, so I'd be careful how often You feed it to your kitty's.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have plenty of fish in their diet from other food, so we don't supplement, but for cats that don't it should be fine. Tuna in particular is one of the fish you don't want to feed too much of though, but cats sure to looooove the taste!

As others have said, its not really "cat food" its just canned tuna, so not really a balanced diet just a supplement.

The price is very low though. The best deals on human-grade tuna I've ever seen were around 55cents for 6oz worth. If that was a clearance price (that's how I got usual $1 a can food at 50cents a while back at HEB), I wouldn't be worried, but otherwise that is pretty inexpensive and makes you go "hmmm" as usually cat food manufacturers have to put in at least SOME inexpensive fillers like rice and the like to get the price down that much.

camille m h

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitty's Favorite:  Ingredients: red meat tuna with white tuna, water.  Guaranteed analysis: crude protein min. 15%, crude fat min. 0.5%, moisture max. 82%, ash max. 3.0%.  (It actually doesn't have much water in it.)  Thanks for pointing out that it doesn't contain added taurine or vitamins.  I hope tuna naturally contains enough taurine.  I feed my cats other foods besides this, and have Purina and Fancy Feast kibble available (and water) at all times. 

chewiesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I found the exact same cat food at a Grocery Outlet in Oregon. I see that you, Badkelpie purchased yours in Washington State. So we're not too far apart, like being on opposite ends of the US. I was a little leary when I saw the label. . .looked "cheap." But when I read the ingredients, I was thrilled! I actually bought it for my DOG! She's ultra finicky & will not eat much. Most canned dog foods have some kind of grain in it as filler, as another person commented about cheaper cat food. I've tried all kinds of things to add to her kibble to get her to eat. . . but THIS did it! She LOVES this! It's all natural. . .like the label says, just tuna & water. And like one of the other commenters said, there's not much water in it. . .it's mostly red tuna. I bought up all I could get my hands on after I realized how natural it was & how much my dog liked it! I bought over 100 cans at .39 a can. I'd love to find more!  And yes, it's only .39 a can because it's at Grocery Outlet. It's good stuff!

ralphe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree: We also found this same cat food. We purchased 2 cases of it, but now we are running low and can't fine any more at any store or of any price. Our cats love it and won't eat any other type of canned cat food. do you know of any other store that carries that brand? Ralphe

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Eating much tuna isnt so bad as many hints, and they cat eat more than occasionally once a week. But.

You must add

1. E-vitamine 

2.  some extra calcium.    

Thailand seems to do much of the worlds tuna production. Most of what is sold in Sweden is too imported from Thailand.

ralphe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just contacted Grocery outlet head office and ask them if they had any plans on purchasing any more of this brand cat food. (kitty's Favorite) They said that I should find in on the shelves again by July. I went to town and there it was. So you might check your local store, it might be there. Ralphe

vietvetjess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
im in san jose ca,looking for kittys favorite cat food,the grocery outlet is out where i shop,has anyone found it in other outlets?pls reply.jess