Kitty's And Scented Wax

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have used scented for a long time until I heard it was horribly dangerous for my beloved kitty's. I have recently been introduced to a soy based wax called pink zebra and they say it is safe for pets. Does anyone know if this is true? My favorite is called air care because it just purifies the air and I can't really smell a scent. But Yankee Candle told me if I use their candle wax pods that are soy based and as long I use the sweet scents like food scents they are not harmful. Anyone know lol I feel confused and honestly do not want to harm my babies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your favorite that you mentioned is a better way to go, but we used to make soy candles, and the bottom line is that you want candles that are specifically made with both non-toxic waxes like soy, beeswax or coconut and also with essential oils and absolutes. If the ingredients aren't listed, simply go with another brand. I came up with five non-toxic candlemakers on Google. Thank you for thinking of your furbabies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you please share your list with me. So that air care from pink zebra is safe for my babies?
Your favorite that you mentioned is a better way to go, but we used to make soy candles, and the bottom line is that you want candles that are specifically made with both non-toxic waxes like soy, beeswax or coconut and also with essential oils and absolutes. If the ingredients aren't listed, simply go with another brand. I came up with five non-toxic candlemakers on Google. Thank you for thinking of your furbabies!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, a better candle because you commented that it doesn't have an overpowering scent, which can mean a smaller quantity of fragrance was used when the batch was being poured, which would in itself be safer. However, i see that it is a product of theirs that's made with a specific fragrance liquid which is by its nature a light scent so I'm not sure. I'm personally bothered that they use the terms "pet safe" and "the essentials of fragrance" but don't seem to back that up with easy to find, detailed ingredient lists. For instance if essential oils are actually used, that should be very clearly defined and I'm not seeing that with them. So you are right to be concerned. I don't have ingredient lists myself anymore, but you might try sparitual candles as an option. One other thought regarding essential oils, most warnings I've seen involve when someone puts the oil on the cat, maybe for fleas, and some oils are toxic. It would seem to me you might want to avoid those in candles or diffusers, and here as well you can look up which essential oils are toxic. Thank you again for caring!

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So update on pink zebra only two are made with heavy essential oils and the rest are food grade oils made from coconut oil and the wax itself is soy wax.

kate187

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are they toxic to cats if ingested, or if melted with a candle for the scent?

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They say no for dogs and humans not sure if your cat eats them but the point of this brand is they r to be used mixed with their own products.