Kittybpoop

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Victor is 8 months old and never had an accident until today. We put a rug runner in the hallway yesterday and he pooped on it! I am fanatical about keeping box clean, haven’t changed litter and there is nothing new in his environment except the rug. Could he have pooped on it to mark it? Any suggestions? This happened after breakfast but tonight after dinner he used his box as usual. I am perplexed!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
His 'deed' is done! Unless he continues, I'd say that was a 'one-off'. The only other thing to immediately consider, if he does it again, is that there is a fabric treatment to the runner that he is responding to.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For some reason, certain rugs just make some cats want to pee on them (I used to have a cat like this). Usually the rug in question has a rubbery backing like you'd find on a rug meant for a bathroom floor - the cat may ignore a similar rug from another brand, but apparently certain rubbery backings used on rugs just have the right smell or something and to some cats it's like the rug has "pee here" written on it.

I've never heard of that happening with pooping before, but I don't see why not. If your rug has a rubbery backing, I'd be very suspicious that its smell somehow confused or tempted him into using it as a litter box.