Kitty with Anxiety and Allergies.

Jojothepogo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
8 months ago, my husband and I adopted a 10 year old cat from the shelter. We got a catch 22 kind of problem. She has allergies and anxiety issues and it's hard to tell if she's chewing herself because she came into contact with an allergy or because she's overgrooming due to stress. She also has had FIC (feline idopatic cystisis - caused by stress) and putting a cone on her head triggers the FIC and enriching her life with supervised outdoor time which she enjoys and is supposed to help with the FIC possibly triggers her allergies. She has done really well on Primal raw pork and busprione hydrochloride until very recently and I can't figure out if it is because I went on a work trip or if she also has environmental allergies along with food allergies. The vet advised putting her on steroids, which I don't really want to do, but have run out of answers. Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone heard of buspirone hydrochloride (BH) becoming ineffective over time? She's been on it for 3 months. Prior to BH, we tried Prozac, which made her personality-less and mean (different for all cats and people I guess). She's normally very affectionate and playful. The buspirone hydrochloride combined with the pork diet worked for 8 weeks, but she started chewing on herself again = cone. The cone stresses her and my husband and I out. When I say she is chewing on herself, I mean I'm afraid that she will chew right through to her guts. I'm not kidding. She is obsessive and will hide from you and aggressively chew on herself. She also has had FIS (feline idiopathic cystitis, which is caused by stress) in the past. Of course, since we put the cone back on her she has peed on a chair and again right in front of me against a book shelf. She isn't in pain. I think she's pissed. Both of her boxes are currently lidless due to the cone. In terms of enrichment, we normally play with her every night, although right now, the minute you take the cone off she runs to hide to chew on her belly. I put a bird feeder right outside her favorite window. She has a room to herself. We have a food puzzle. And we are building her a cat-io (screened in patio for the cat)
  2. What about Atopica? I know it's a steriod designed specifically for allergies. We thought we had kitty's allergies under control, but now we are not so sure. We learned that she is allergic to beef (including dairy from cows) and fish. She has some problems with chicken, but not nearly as bad as with beef and fish. She eats Primal freeze dried raw pork formula and sometimes rabbit just to mix it up. She has done really well on this combined with the busprione hydrochloride until very recently. We are not sure if it's because I started letting her out in our backyard for short periods of time supervised (environmental allergies) or if she is stressed. I really don't know if immunotherapy, which takes 12 -24 months to work is a good plan considering her age and how miserable she is right now.
  3. I don't know if this is related, but kitty wakes me up every morning at 4:00 am. Any ideas on how to stop this. She will climb all over me. If I lock her out, she'll meow outside the bedroom door. I don't want to stress her out further buy pushing her away, but I also need to sleep.
I am open to any other ideas. Note: My husband and I both have very demanding jobs and we have a very small house. We can't just stop traveling for work (except for now- thanks Covid-19). We don't have room for a cat tree in every room ;).

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would assume stress and failing that then allergies since you need to eliminate one. Since the newest thing in her life is you leaving I would guess stress. Though if it continues it would probably be worth it to do that allergy blood test I heard about it god forbid an old fashioned allergy test.

Can you take her with you? My little lynx is glued to me and I think would rather travel then be separated. My mim’s Super bonded bottle baby got used to airplanes & traveled well.

My cat had allergies and died from severe asthma and pancreatitis, so my heart goes out to you. I hope she feels better soon!
0C54B931-5EB6-47E6-AB83-C764EFC92F61.jpeg

FBEF1B69-4008-457D-9843-76468A77DF9E.jpeg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you tell if she is any different with the chewing on her tummy when she's fed the rabbit than the pork? Sometimes when they chew on themselves like that it's because they are experiencing pain and I'm just wondering if the pork might be causing gas or something. Pork is a little unusual for cats, although sometimes I feed it to my raw eater also, but I'll admit he's not fond of it and is often stand offish after I feed it, so I won't be buying it anymore. I'd try feeding just the rabbit for a week or two and see if you notice any difference.

I don't know about the BH. What did your Vet say about it losing it's efficacy? At this point, I would try the steroids because, honestly, quality of life is better, IMHO, than living a longer life in misery (hers, I'm speaking of), and there is nothing that says being in steroids will shorten her lifespan, although it could .

As far as waking you up early in the morning, does she appear to be hungry? My guy used to do this and he wanted to eat. I eiher just ignored him or I had to physically push him away for several weeks (saying "no no" until he got the hint. I didn't play with him or pet him or anything, just basically ignored him unless he was crawling all over me, that's when I'd physically push him away, but gently. It was a bad habit he's gotten into that I needed to break. I knew he wasn't going to starve to death, but I did make sure that as soon as I got up, I gave him some freeze dried raw treats to show him he was a good boy to wait for the alarm to go off

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I apologize I thought pork was her normal/proven safe food. If the pork is new I would take her to the vet (& off the pork immediately.) I would also ask the vet for a allergy medication & a stress medication. Both can be as needed or the stress one can be temporary. I can’t remember the name but I asked if there was a type of kitty Benadryl when Dante lip started to swell up a little instead of going straight to the prednisone shot while I was trying to figure out what on earth he was allergic to!!! There are a few (she had a list) and ⭐Benadryl is not safe for cats!⭐ That process takes months & when it doubt you get rid of it. If the vet had offered it as s choice I would have sedated him and done an allergy test just to know for sure what he was allergic to.

He was allergic to (fleas, maybe plastic, maybe corn, maybe wheat & ALL poultry!) Dante’s safe dry food was taste of the wild salmon/trout & bff in non poultry. I became one that read the label to EVERY type of food (& didn’t tisk a beef & liver because it didn’t list where the liver came from.) Fancy feast puts chicken in everything & I think their gravy lovers as wheat in it!

It is so hard when our babies are sick! Again I hope your 🐈 feels better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojothepogo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would assume stress and failing that then allergies since you need to eliminate one. Since the newest thing in her life is you leaving I would guess stress. Though if it continues it would probably be worth it to do that allergy blood test I heard about it god forbid an old fashioned allergy test.

Can you take her with you? My little lynx is glued to me and I think would rather travel then be separated. My mim’s Super bonded bottle baby got used to airplanes & traveled well.

My cat had allergies and died from severe asthma and pancreatitis, so my heart goes out to you. I hope she feels better soon!
View attachment 326158

View attachment 326159
Thank you for your support. No, unfortunately she does not travel well (and I mostly travel for conferences at hotels that aren't pet friendly). But I am aware that it's stressful for her when I leave. I'm hoping that shell eventually realize that I'll always come back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojothepogo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you tell if she is any different with the chewing on her tummy when she's fed the rabbit than the pork? Sometimes when they chew on themselves like that it's because they are experiencing pain and I'm just wondering if the pork might be causing gas or something. Pork is a little unusual for cats, although sometimes I feed it to my raw eater also, but I'll admit he's not fond of it and is often stand offish after I feed it, so I won't be buying it anymore. I'd try feeding just the rabbit for a week or two and see if you notice any difference.

I don't know about the BH. What did your Vet say about it losing it's efficacy? At this point, I would try the steroids because, honestly, quality of life is better, IMHO, than living a longer life in misery (hers, I'm speaking of), and there is nothing that says being in steroids will shorten her lifespan, although it could .

As far as waking you up early in the morning, does she appear to be hungry? My guy used to do this and he wanted to eat. I eiher just ignored him or I had to physically push him away for several weeks (saying "no no" until he got the hint. I didn't play with him or pet him or anything, just basically ignored him unless he was crawling all over me, that's when I'd physically push him away, but gently. It was a bad habit he's gotten into that I needed to break. I knew he wasn't going to starve to death, but I did make sure that as soon as I got up, I gave him some freeze dried raw treats to show him he was a good boy to wait for the alarm to go off
She has been on the pork diet for 5 months and does well on it. We buy a bag of rabbit every third bag and she doesn't react to the rabbit either. That's why I was thinking it might be environmental since I had let her outside very recently.

I think you right about the steroids.

She will eventually stop climbing on me and find a spot on the bed and sit still and I can get in another hour of sleep. But I now wake up and fret at 3:30. We thought she might be hungry and set up a times feeder with freeze dried rabbit treats to go off at 4, so now she lets me sleep in till 4:30. Ha!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you see any sort of rash on her stomach? I would think if it's environmental, it might show up as a rash, or lesions, some sort of evidence on our skin of an irritant. (just my opinion). From what you describe, it seems she is being bothered from the inside, unless this truly is a stress reaction, in which case maybe she does need an anxiety medication. There are others aside from the BH and Prozac, like Amitryptyline . And that's not the only one.