Kitty with acute kidney injury

Mintycel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello

My name is Cel. I'm new to this site, though I've often read the threads here for as I've. I finally decided to join in.

Anyway I've got two kittens. One is a lovely 8 month old tabby Ned Coco. The other is a gorgeous 11 month old black cat Loki.

This thread concerns Loki, the black cat. When we got him back in September his health was outstanding. All bloodwork normal, everything normal. Not once did he throw up or has a bout of kitty illness unlike coco.

But fast forward to last month.. and Loki started peeing a lot and drinking a lot of water and refusing food. We took him to the vet and we were very surprised to find out he had an acute kidney injury.

He spent five days at the hospital with fluids and medicine given to him through IV. And then he came home to us and we were instructed to give him subq fluids, a special diet and some meds. And he's been doing pretty good so far.

The doctors are not sure if any of the kidney damage is permanent. Or even what caused it. They have a few theories: some kind of poisoning (though he's an indoor cat and Coco is fine), or a genetic problem are the two biggest theories.

I know kidney problems are common in cats, but they are usually not 10 months old when that happens so I'm not sure how much insight or shared experience I will find. But that's what I'm looking for, if you have any experience managing this disease or have a younger kitten with if, I would love to hear from you whatever you want to tell me.

I attach a picture of Loki too so you can see how beautiful my baby boy is 💜

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Loki is a very handsome black kitten.:dancingblackcat: Thanks for including a pic of him. Since you mentioned he spent five days at the vet do you know if they did an ultrasound? I thought this thread might have some helpful information for you since it's regarding a kitten who was also diagnosed with kidney trouble:
Dehydration or kidney failure?

I'm sure other members will come along with some additional advice and related experience(s). Best of luck, please keep us posted on Loki's progress. :alright:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a little black cat named Loki years ago who was a real character......

As the owner of a cat who is 4 with a yet unindentified kidney condition, I do recommend the ultrasound which will show issues with the organs and might answer, or rule out, some of your concerns.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have had three cats with chronic kidney failure, but that is completely different from acute kidney injury. Could have been caused by a kidney infection, kidney stones, or even though he is an indoor cat, there are certain chemicals (cleaners for instance) around most houses that he possibly could have gotten in contact with that his sibling didn't, unless you keep those type of things in a place with childproof locks on them. Even certain essential oils can be harmful. Or pain killers like ibuprofen!

Since it was acute, and he is better, chances are he will be fine. Acute is just that, once and done (often) . It's usuall worse than chronic, requiring hospitalization, but if they survive, then they are good to go. Is his bloodwork back in line? I would agree with Neely that if the Vet's think it's warranted, then an Ultrasound might be a good idea to rule out any genetic abnormalities, but that would be more chronic than acute, as far as I know. Again, my "expertise" in in chronic, not acute.

For much more on kidney disease, here is an excellent website all about it. It has been my "go to", and several other people's as well:

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Acute Kidney Injury

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Acute means it could heal on its own and was caused by something environmental, like poison, from plants, cleaners, mouse killers, and even an illness. Genetic kidney problems will most likely keep occurring until it turns into chronic kidney problems. I would suggest just waiting and seeing what comes up in the future. Put him on a kidney care food and encourage LOTS of water. maybe setting several small bowls of water around or getting a fountain. There are also kidney care supplements to help the kidneys on Amazon. It wouldn't hurt. Let's just hope this is a one-time thing.....Welcome to the sight! Keep us posted on how Loki is doing!