Kitty was fussy with food this morning?

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my 7 month old kitten was fussy with his food this morning. He usually loves his food and screams for it...

But this morning he turned his nose up at his usual sachet food and wouldn’t touch it at all, so I tried him on some canned food which he ate a bit of, then he went back and ate 3/4 of the sachet after!

I know the first thing to do is call the vet if your kitty is off their food, but he has eaten, so should I still call the vet? It’s just very unlike him to do this.

He has been acting normal apart from overgrooming and making himself a bit sore on his tummy. I should probably also mention we have been feeding him a little more than usual and adding canned food as well as sachets as he’s a little on the small side.. so not sure if this could be why.

TIA

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens should be fed as much as they want for the first year, so I don't think overfeeding should be a problem. It sounds like he is getting a little pickier and seeing if you will offer something else like many cats do. Overgrooming indicates an allergy to maybe something in the food or stress. You might limit him to just one kind for a while and see if it gets worse or better, like all chicken or all fish types. Has there been any changes in his life lately, new litter, box, company or another cat hanging around outside? If so try to reassure him with a little more one on one attention. The canned food has been new, maybe switch to a new kind for a while?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: It's so easy to jump into worried-cat-parent mode when our kitties do something a bit out of the ordinary, and I do always feel it's better to err on the side of caution. However, in your case, since he later came back and ate 3/4 of his food, I'd say all is well.

The over-grooming, however, is probably something to talk to your vet about. Meanwhile, here's a short TCS article that might be helpful: Skin Conditions In Cats – Cat Articles

BTW, we have a New Cats on the Block forum where you can "formally" introduce yourself and your furbaby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks both, we gave him some steamed chicken for lunch and he scoffed the lot, so think you are right that he is just getting a little pickier and I’m being an over-worried kitty mum!

RE the overgrooming, definitely going to call the vets about it on Monday. He’s been de-flead and we gave him a bath with anti itch shampoo and he’s still doing it, so thinking he may have an allergy. Do you know if these can be serious? (I have a real fear of things be fatal!!!)

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad he's eating just fine, little dude. As a neutered 7 month old cat, veterinary professionals as a majority recommend meal times, measured consistent quantity, and transitioning to adult food. Cats tendency towards overweight (excess body condition) is greater than occurrence of underweight or low body condition. His body condition may be ideal, regardless where his number of ounces or grams body weight fall. His vet can palpate his spine, ribs, and visualize body condition to score him, but sounds like he's been ideal at all his visits in prior posts.

Per Dr. Jennifer Larsen, DVM, PhD, nutritional consultant and assistant professor of clinical nutrition at the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital at the University of California, Davis:
"“It’s easier to switch foods if a kitten has been exposed early on to different textures and flavors,” Larsen says. “If exposed to the same food over and over, cats tend to get a fixed preference for a particular flavor and texture.”

If you’re trying to make a switch to a new kitten food, Larsen recommends not mixing it with the old food. “If the kitten dislikes the new food, this can put them off the old food, too,” she says. Instead, offer the new food and old foods in separate bowls. Over time, offer smaller and smaller amounts of the old food along with the new food. “A little bit of hunger will help them make the transition - and resign them to at least trying the new food.”

Remember that making rapid changes in food can cause stomach upset or “hunger strikes.” So you may need to make the transition to a new food over four to seven days.

Larsen agrees that it’s fine for young kittens to “free feed,” by making unlimited kitten food available to them all day long, and then to transition to meal eating around four to six months of age.
Check packages for suggested amounts. Even with the energy needs of kittens, overfeeding can become a big problem.
“Especially control intake around the time of spaying and neutering, which increases the risk for obesity,” Larsen says. “Preventing obesity is preferable to addressing it once it’s already occurred.”"

From Feeding Growing Kittens

Growing kittens need higher amounts of all nutrients in comparison to adult cats, but excess energy calories and calcium can create serious problems. Preventing obesity must begin during the weaning stage and continue through to adulthood and old age. Being overweight or obese sets the stage for many complications and diseases, including:
  • hypertension
  • heart disease
  • diabetes mellitus
  • osteoarthritis
  • heat intolerance
  • decreased immune function
Free-choice feeding increases the risks for higher levels of body fat and becoming overweight or obese. Portion feeding provides the greatest opportunity to prevent kittens from becoming overweight or obese - they do best when their total daily portion of food is offered in 3-4 small meals or more each day. Also note that dry foods are more calorie-dense than canned foods, and canned foods tend to be more tasty than dry.

Allergies do not usually declare themselves until 1-3 yrs age; environmental irritants such as parasites, cleaning agents, abrasive fabric, etc are more probable culprits for persistent pruritis or itchiness. Even a single flea we can't locate can cause flea allergy dermatitis until environment where cat lays, sits, grooms, frequents, is completely treated for fleas. Cleansers and fabrics can be quite irritating depending on how well cleanser is rinsed away, or the abrasiveness/coarseness of a fabric. Persians coats are so fine yet thick, they, too, need extra "rinse cycles" to ensure no shampoo or soap is lingering in all that angora fine coat. Your babe is in excellent hands. Try not to stress, but a little mother-henning, helicoper-mum is normal, especially for new cat adopters.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks both, we gave him some steamed chicken for lunch and he scoffed the lot, so think you are right that he is just getting a little pickier and I’m being an over-worried kitty mum!
It's easy to become an over-worried kitty mum when it comes to our furbabies. :petcat:

RE the overgrooming, definitely going to call the vets about it on Monday. He’s been de-flead and we gave him a bath with anti itch shampoo and he’s still doing it, so thinking he may have an allergy. Do you know if these can be serious? (I have a real fear of things be fatal!!!)
My Ruby girl has food sensitivities, but her reaction is vomiting and/or diarrhea, not itchiness. So I don't know much about the skin irritation side of allergies. Talking to the vet, is definitely your best first step. :redheartpump: