Kitty Virus Quandary

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She also had calicivirus as a kitten when we adopted her at 7 mos of age. Medication helped clear up the calici, but the herpes symptoms are life-long and only manageable, not curable.
What medication did you use for the calici?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FirstRescue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cheeser, thanks for the link to that great thread! Lots of info for me to dig into. Pixel's eye was looking a little worse today, so I think she needs some extra help.

Baby food sounds like a grand idea for mixing in supplements. Will try that. Anything is better than pilling an unwilling cat. That sounded very Dr. Seuss!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheeser, thanks for the link to that great thread! Lots of info for me to dig into. Pixel's eye was looking a little worse today, so I think she needs some extra help.

Baby food sounds like a grand idea for mixing in supplements. Will try that. Anything is better than pilling an unwilling cat. That sounded very Dr. Seuss!
You're very welcome. Hope it helps. :)

Oh, and just make sure the baby food doesn't contain any garlic or onion, since those are toxic to cats. We use the Gerber Ham flavor because one of our cats has an allergy to chicken. But they really prefer the chicken. :wink:

FirstRescue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Check on the chicken baby food, no garlic or onion. Will be ordering some lactoferrin and Zylkene today in the smaller quantities and see how kitties do. They are galloping around the house today like crazy after eating some homemade chicken/broth. It's the first time I've heard either of them "chirrup" or trill whatever that sound is called. Clearly, they're feeling pretty good, even they are still having symptoms.

FirstRescue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not much to say to help you, I'd just want to highlight that you rescued two kitties in such conditions that not many people in the world would have adopted.
My huge thank you for what you did!!! :clap:
That's nice of you to say. I think the real hero is the lady running the rescue. She has mainly FLV cats and other unadoptables. There was one older gentleman who had just had a leg amputated. He spent his time staring out the window with his ears back, hating the world and everyone in it (understandably). Taking care of him was a true act of kindness. Adopting kittens is easy, compared to that.