Kitty Tummy/litter Box Troubles -help

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

I recently took in a kitty named Mau Mau. He's always had a voracious appetite - but for wet food only. He urinates very frequently, and quite a bit each time he does. However, his stool is grey and rock hard.

I took him to the vet, who put him on a laxative I have been giving to him for three days. Now though, he's either going pure liquid or still those hard grey lumps. He's still eating up a storm, but has begun to belch and curl up in a ball throughout the day. He's also taken to eating his stool and his litter.

I'm at a loss as to what is going on. He's still Mau Mau, but something is so off. My vet seems to think he is fine, but I can't shake the feeling that something is wrong.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He needs to get back to the vet, or at the least call the vet and explain that he's eating his stool and litter. That is NOT good. Also, what are you feeding him? He might need a prescription food to get him over the hump and then you can introduce other food and find something that works for him.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's only eating wet food and his poop is still rock hard? That's odd. Has he been de-wormed? I'd definitely get a second opinion, maybe at a different vet.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are using clumping clay cat litter, I would expect that the gray hard stools are from eating kitty litter. I would immediately change cat litters. You may need to temporarily shred newspaper or something if you can't get to the store until tomorrow.

blueorchid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also agree that he needs to go back to the/a vet. You mentioned he is eating his litter and that his stools are grey and rock hard... maybe he's been eating his litter for a while? :dunno: Does he eat other non-food items that you know? I know pica cats do tend to eat litter. But his symptoms and behavior does seem odd. Sorry I'm not much help but do keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He needs to get back to the vet, or at the least call the vet and explain that he's eating his stool and litter. That is NOT good. Also, what are you feeding him? He might need a prescription food to get him over the hump and then you can introduce other food and find something that works for him.
I told my vet about it already. He just said it was strange, but who knows why, essentially. He eats a little bit of Blue Buffalo Grain-Free and Wellness Grain Free Wet food. He was only eating Whiskas wet food for a while. He's pretty picky. And he's got me worried sick.

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are using clumping clay cat litter, I would expect that the gray hard stools are from eating kitty litter. I would immediately change cat litters. You may need to temporarily shred newspaper or something if you can't get to the store until tomorrow.
That's a super scary thought. I know that can be very dangerous.

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also agree that he needs to go back to the/a vet. You mentioned he is eating his litter and that his stools are grey and rock hard... maybe he's been eating his litter for a while? :dunno: Does he eat other non-food items that you know? I know pica cats do tend to eat litter. But his symptoms and behavior does seem odd. Sorry I'm not much help but do keep us updated.
Maybe...his diarrhea is yellow-tan, if that's any better a sign. He chews on his bed, but he doesn't eat it....Cat has me all sorts of worried.

Sallysoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is definitly not okay that the kitty eat the litter soil! Common sense will tell you even without telling the vet. Depends on what type of litter soil you use, certain type when eaten can be expanded internally and cause blockage and/or lead to serious problems. You may want to moniter that and change the type. Could be the cause as it depends how much litter the kitty has eaten? You have another vet that you can bring your kitty too?

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is not good! A pale, gray, putty colored stool in a cat is usually caused by an absence of bile pigments in the intestinal tract. This often indicates a complete bile obstruction associated with primary liver disease.

Yellow-tan stool diarrhea also points to liver disease; again, absence of bile.

I would take your cat to a Vet ASAP and request a "liver panel" bloodwork be done.
Liver disease in cats is very serious and is often fatal. Do not wait.

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is definitly not okay that the kitty eat the litter soil! Common sense will tell you even without telling the vet. Depends on what type of litter soil you use, certain type when eaten can be expanded internally and cause blockage and/or lead to serious problems. You may want to moniter that and change the type. Could be the cause as it depends how much litter the kitty has eaten? You have another vet that you can bring your kitty too?

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know. That's what I was telling my vet, but he didn't seem too concerned. I want to trust in my vet, but again yes, common sense. I do have another vet lined up.

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is not good! A pale, gray, putty colored stool in a cat is usually caused by an absence of bile pigments in the intestinal tract. This often indicates a complete bile obstruction associated with primary liver disease.

Yellow-tan stool diarrhea also points to liver disease; again, absence of bile.

I would take your cat to a Vet ASAP and request a "liver panel" bloodwork be done.
Liver disease in cats is very serious and is often fatal. Do not wait.

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what I fear. I know I need to get him somewhere and quick. He's still himself...but not. I'm going to call about the bloodwork.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have an emergency Veterinary hospital in your area? I don't know where you are located but most cities have a 24/7 Veterinary Emergency Clinic somewhere. Call any Vet's office and ask them where the nearest Emergency clinic is located.