Kitty Suddenly Very Needy And Yowling

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SarahB1863

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hmmm, no kidding...., so, she's really trying to hear something from outside, I think. What about white noise, like from a fan?
I thought of that - I'm wondering if she's hearing something that I can't and that's agitating her. I have a fan and I've turned it on but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I really like all the suggestions so far above and I wish something was working! I have a bengal/siamese mix and he is VOCAL. So when he gets bored, hungry, or lonely he is even more loud and obnoxious. I learned how to read this behavior and determine what he wants (like a baby).

He knows his feeding schedule so if it is outside of those times I usually eliminate hunger as a possibility. Does your kitty get plenty of food? Have you tried doing a bed time snack of some sort? Maybe a special treat or her favorite canned food in a smaller portion?

The thing that works to keep my Richard quiet until morning is usually an intense play session. I am talking, breathing heavy, laying and exhausted type of intensity. I usually find success by using a laser pointer or cat dancer toy. I think the quietest cat is a cat that is TIRED! :)

I hope you find something that works soon!

SarahB1863

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks very much for all the suggestions!

I'm starting to suspect it may be something medical. I noticed that when I tried to play with her last night, she showed no interest in the feather on a stick or laser pointer (her usual faves) and just kept wandering around making that 'chirp chirp' noise in her throat - like a meow with her mouth closed.

She's also not scarfing up her treats, and she's rolling over on her belly a lot - which is usually a trap, but last night I was able to stroke her belly and she just looked up at me.

She doesn't seem to be in any obvious pain, but I also noticed she isn't jumping as much as she usually does and every once in a while she holds her hips kinda funny. So maybe she ate something, or she's constipated or something like that?

I moved my vet appointment up to 4 this afternoon, so I'll keep y'all informed.

SarahB1863

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, back from the vet! The vet thinks Charlotte pulled something in her back, which is affecting her jumping, and the pain is making her distracted and yowly. She gave me some pain meds which she says will help, and hopefully in a few days that problem should go away.

The vet did blood work that all came back normal, so there's nothing going on there, and she didn't feel any fullness in the abdomen which would signal an intestinal or stomach problem.

So, that's what it is! For right now I'm giving Charlotte pain meds for the next week and we'll see where we are at that point. Maybe she'll be more into the toys once her back is better.

SarahB1863

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitty update! I put the pill in her food last night and she ate it, and didn't yowl at all last night, so yay! She's back to her old kitty self, jumping and playing etc., so I think that crisis is past. Just wanted to let y'all know, thanks again for all the suggestions!