Kitty showing signs of what could be asthma?

colbyraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 year old cat Marble was sitting on my lap earlier when she started to make this gagging/hacking noise. She got up and when she was on my bed she started leaning her head down low and stretching her neck out while doing it. It only lasted MAYBE 20 seconds, and afterwards she sounded croaky and scratchy while meowing. Everything the internet is telling me is that this is asthma, but I was wondering if anyone else had experience with a younger kitty developing asthma seemingly randomly. It’s not an official diagnosis yet, I’m gonna try and get her in the vet tomorrow since this has been the first concerning fit I’ve seen. She does kind of “snore” when she sleeps, too. Not sure if that’s a factor. I figured she may have had a little bit of allergies cause she can be sniffly sometimes, the pollen is so bad here it’s even affecting us (myself and my boyfriend).
Let me know if any of you have any experience with this. Again, most of the internet is saying asthma, but that it also occurs usually in older cats, 2 and up. That could just not be right though. Help!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are going to get a vet appointment? Great. If you can catch this on video for the vet it may help. If you can’t get Marble in right now then send a video and ask for a call back. Cats can do that sort of thing even if it’s a hairball. I do have a kitty that had asthma as a kitten but I also have a lot of other kitties that hack, sneeze, snore and otherwise make all kinds of noises, postures and other things that make me sit up and take notice. This is pollen season and I am affected by that too. I got some air purifiers for me and the kitties and they really help. Hepa filters and keeping windows closed during the height of the allergen season. Hopefully Marble just had some hair in his throat but you are doing the right thing by checking it out with a vet. Please do let us know what you find out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

colbyraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are going to get a vet appointment? Great. If you can catch this on video for the vet it may help. If you can’t get Marble in right now then send a video and ask for a call back. Cats can do that sort of thing even if it’s a hairball. I do have a kitty that had asthma as a kitten but I also have a lot of other kitties that hack, sneeze, snore and otherwise make all kinds of noises, postures and other things that make me sit up and take notice. This is pollen season and I am affected by that too. I got some air purifiers for me and the kitties and they really help. Hepa filters and keeping windows closed during the height of the allergen season. Hopefully Marble just had some hair in his throat but you are doing the right thing by checking it out with a vet. Please do let us know what you find out.
You’re definitely helping me feel a little better about it. Our other kitty, Rocky, is a sneezer, so I’m used to hearing crazy noises too. Marble has always been kinda sniffly, and she’s only had maybe one hair ball that we absolutely knew was hers. She is a huge shedder though, that could easily explain it. I’m gonna see if I can get her in the vet tomorrow if possible, Monday if not. She’s worried me sick with this. As bad as it makes me feel to watch her little attack, I would like to get it on video again so I can show our vet. I believe ours is still making owners sit in the car. I’ll keep you updated, though!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can really make some awful noise trying to get up a hairball! They can also be verrry quiet about it and then leave it for you to discover later in your bedroom slipper! A gift! My long haired boy makes me gifts regularly. Lol :eek2:

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty started getting coughing/sneezing fits at about 7 months. She sounded almost like a donkey. I got it on video and thought it was very similar to what's online as asthma attacks. Took her to the vet and they thought asthma was very unlikely given her age but still did an x-ray to be sure. Her chest looked fine so no asthma. Vet thought it was allergies and she called the fits a "reverse sneeze." She said they sound worse than they are and it's nothing to be worried about. She gets them now and again, but not often, and I don't treat her with allergy meds because they don't seem helpful.