Kitty Scalded With Hot Beverage - Advice

isobel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 days ago our Tia jumped up on the counter and knocked a hot cup of coffee over herself. It pretty much went over her back/spine area. I did my best to rinse it with cool water, and quickly called the vet to tell them I was on my way as she was in bit of pain. I sat in the waiting room with her for 30 minutes and the vet still did not take us in to look at her (too busy kenneling dogs to help us with what we thought was an emergency). I was upset with this and left and my husband thought it would be best to tend to it at home. We used cool water compresses on her back in the burn area. She is doing much better, but today we noticed she is licking her coat in the area of the burn. It appears to have some scabbing under her fur, like perhaps she blistered and it broke. There is no bleeding or blood that we can see, however she has several tiny scabs in the burn area. I don't want to go back to the vet (why is it so difficult to find a good, respectable veterinarian!) She seems to not be in pain at all, however is there something I can treat this area with at home that is safe to help prevent any infection? Dab a bit of peroxide?? I really do not want to go back to this vet. Should she be on an antibiotic while this is healing?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Tia :sickcat:I can totally understand your being reluctant to go back to the vet you mention, but she needs veterinary treatment. My understanding is that burns and scalds can get infected very easily, so she really does need to see a vet. She may well need antibiotics, either as a precautionary measure, or to treat any infection that might have set in.

The only thing I can suggest in the meantime is to put a cone/e-collar on her to stop her licking the area, and to bathe the area with warm salty water (I usually use 1-2 cups of lukewarm water with around a tablespoon of salt). This is NOT a substitute for veterinary care though.

I really hope she heals up soon :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there another vet in your area you could go to instead? Burns need to be treated right away. Your cat may need special cream applied to the burned areas to prevent infection. Do not use any Human cream / ointment (OTC or prescription) for burns and such. Many are harmful to cats.

I'd also complain to the vet about the lack of urgency and attention for an emergency situation. The vet should have at least taken 5 minutes to assess the extent of the injuries and had a vet tech take vitals of the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isobel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor Tia :sickcat:I can totally understand your being reluctant to go back to the vet you mention, but she needs veterinary treatment. My understanding is that burns and scalds can get infected very easily, so she really does need to see a vet. She may well need antibiotics, either as a precautionary measure, or to treat any infection that might have set in.

The only thing I can suggest in the meantime is to put a cone/e-collar on her to stop her licking the area, and to bathe the area with warm salty water (I usually use 1-2 cups of lukewarm water with around a tablespoon of salt). This is NOT a substitute for veterinary care though.

I really hope she heals up soon :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you Columbine......I am going to take her back there. There is one Dr. that I like very much at this veterinary practice but she was not there Thursday, and is not in again until noon Monday. I booked the appointment and am going to bring Tia in to see her then. I don't care for the other Dr. at all (he is the one that did not treat our emergency as such!) It is a financial thing too, or I would bring her to another vet that a friend of mine uses.

isobel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there another vet in your area you could go to instead? Burns need to be treated right away. Your cat may need special cream applied to the burned areas to prevent infection. Do not use any Human cream / ointment (OTC or prescription) for burns and such. Many are harmful to cats.

I'd also complain to the vet about the lack of urgency and attention for an emergency situation. The vet should have at least taken 5 minutes to assess the extent of the injuries and had a vet tech take vitals of the cat.
I made an appointment for her to see a Dr. on Monday at noon at the same practice (a Dr. I respect, not the one who was there Thursday.). I want to take precaution and get her on an antibiotic and have the scabs looked at. I wanted to bring her to an emergency clinic on Thursday when I walked out of our Vet's office, but I don't have the means to cover the emergency expense of that. :-( She does not seem in pain, but now I am worried.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vet ERs are pretty expensive but well worth it if your cat's illness or injury can be treated. Many people here put money aside to use for emergency vet bills, usually in a separate bank savings account. That may be something you can do, too. A few dollars set aside weeky can really add up. Pet insurance is also another way that can help with vet bills in general.

One of my cat's burned his paw a kitten by jumping onto a scorching hot flat top stove. I ran cold water onto his paw for awhile and then packed him up and took him to the vet ER. The vet determined that the burn was a very superficial first degree burn and said that running cold water over the paw right away was the right thing to do. I know an ointment was prescribed to apply to the paw but I don't remember if antibiotics were prescribed as well. I had a follow up with the regular vet a week or so later. It was actually for something else but it worked out for us. The paw was healing by then but still painful as my cat helpfully demonstrated by jumping off the exam table and then screaming in pain while holding his paw up :doh:

isobel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet ERs are pretty expensive but well worth it if your cat's illness or injury can be treated. Many people here put money aside to use for emergency vet bills, usually in a separate bank savings account. That may be something you can do, too. A few dollars set aside weeky can really add up. Pet insurance is also another way that can help with vet bills in general.

One of my cat's burned his paw a kitten by jumping onto a scorching hot flat top stove. I ran cold water onto his paw for awhile and then packed him up and took him to the vet ER. The vet determined that the burn was a very superficial first degree burn and said that running cold water over the paw right away was the right thing to do. I know an ointment was prescribed to apply to the paw but I don't remember if antibiotics were prescribed as well. I had a follow up with the regular vet a week or so later. It was actually for something else but it worked out for us. The paw was healing by then but still painful as my cat helpfully demonstrated by jumping off the exam table and then screaming in pain while holding his paw up :doh:
The flattop stove was/still is truly my nightmare. Normally our Tia does not jump near there (her sister Isobel is the culprit and the one I thought could get hurt). Since we adopted these kitties less than a year ago we don't leave the hot cooktop unattended....2 of the 3 are jumpers :-(
I hate myself for pouring that cup of coffee Thursday. RE: the kittie bank, we are usually in better shape, but have been hit terribly hard with unforeseen illness and home repairs this year. Now this! Thank you for your reply. I am taking her to see her Doctor on Monday at noon. I want to get an antibiotic just to prevent any further issue or infection. She is feeling better, but it appears she has several blisters that scabbed. Not swollen, and she has not had a fever. I tried to rinse her with cool running water immediately, but she was in pain, frightened and the running water was just too traumatic at the time. She would not let us even gently use the cool compress at first. I read that I should NOT use ice on it, but I did use a wash cloth dipped in cool water and held held over the area, but I am afraid it did not do much to help. The veterinary clinic really frosted me. And my husband and I are not fond of the doctor they had on staff that day. What was an emergency was not considered as such, but shame on me too for not being more demanding with them and seeing she was looked after properly at the time. Thank you for your reply. I pray our little girl will be just fine after seeing her doctor Monday.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 days ago our Tia jumped up on the counter and knocked a hot cup of coffee over herself. It pretty much went over her back/spine area. I did my best to rinse it with cool water, and quickly called the vet to tell them I was on my way as she was in bit of pain. ...

She is doing much better, but today we noticed she is licking her coat in the area of the burn. It appears to have some scabbing under her fur, like perhaps she blistered and it broke. There is no bleeding or blood that we can see, however she has several tiny scabs in the burn area. I don't want to go back to the vet (why is it so difficult to find a good, respectable veterinarian!) She seems to not be in pain at all, however is there something I can treat this area with at home that is safe to help prevent any infection?
It's very possible that her burns could be 2nd degree burns if you are seeing blistering. This is much more painful than 1st degree burns (but of course, better than 3rd degree burns). It affects more layers of skin than 1st degree burns (which usually only redden the skin and singe hair).

Dab a bit of peroxide?? ...
Please, do not dab any peroxide on the burn!

---

I agree with LTS3 that burns like this likely need to be treated as soon as possible.

isobel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's very possible that her burns could be 2nd degree burns if you are seeing blistering. This is much more painful than 1st degree burns (but of course, better than 3rd degree burns). It affects more layers of skin than 1st degree burns (which usually only redden the skin and singe hair).

Please, do not dab any peroxide on the burn!

---

I agree with LTS3 that burns like this likely need to be treated as soon as possible.
I am bringing her in.

isobel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will NOT put ANYTHING on it at all. I did use a wash cloth soaked in cool water at the time. Just to cool the are with no pressure or "washing". I am going to see the vet with her.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so frustrating for you that your initial visit to the vet was a disaster. You did everything right! I understand where you are coming from! How has she been eating?

isobel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's so frustrating for you that your initial visit to the vet was a disaster. You did everything right! I understand where you are coming from! How has she been eating?
She is feeling much better today....it was her worried mama after noticing the scabs. I've been checking her closely. She is letting me actually look at it today so it is probably not hurting her as badly as it was. She is eating very well too. Frisky this evening....and I know she is not feverish. I've been checking her for this. She is social, alert, and playful. I want the doctor that I trust to give her a good check up and I don't think the antibiotics will hurt as a precaution. The doctor I want her to see is young and very knowledgeable. She is the one that cured our 3 girls of all their shelter issues after we adopted them last fall. We are thankful our 3 girls are now in excellent heath up until this burn incident. I will have peace of mind seeing her regular doctor on Monday. They gave me the first appointment of the day....and apparently I am not the only complaint they have received on this one particular doctor that did not treat her timely. Thank you for your kind words and your advice. I will touch base and let you know how we do on Monday. :-)