Kitty Refusing All Wet Food

scoochmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've talked before about how both of my cats are being extremely fussy about their canned food. Both raised on Fancy Feast, then about a year or so ago, started to reject it. I heard that it might be due to FF changing their formula and that a lot of cats were rejecting it. Well, nothing's changed, really. My boy cat Scooch will eat about half a bowl and then leave it. My girl cat Mooshka is the one who is rejecting all of it. I've tried every grain-free food at my Petco/PetSmart - nothing. She seems to hate every kind of animal you can find in a can - turkey, beef, chicken, duck, etc. I gave up and tried to give her "human" food. I baked her a piece of Tilapia, she wouldn't touch it. I bought some turkey breast lunchmeat, she wouldn't touch it. Same with strips of raw beef. The only wet she will eat is some Bumble Bee tuna, but not much, and I hear it has mercury in it, so it can't be good for her, but it's my last resort.

She's gotten thin, but not emaciated, and she's surviving on dry (Purina Naturals, Rachel Ray Nutrish, and Blue Wilderness), but I know she's getting tired of it. She's pooping, peeing, playing, so I doubt that she's sick. What can I do to get her to eat meat, either cooked or raw?

My Hungry Mooshka:
239.JPG

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If she really hates wet food it would be better to feed her plenty of good quality dry than risk her losing weight and becoming ill.

Does she like the dry food that you are feeding her? If she enjoys it then I suggest just letting her eat her fill of that and making sure she has plenty of water too. A water fountain often encourages cats to drink more.

Have you tried her with freeze dried meat treats?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Have you tried canned Purina Muse, or Purina One True Instinct? I went through much the same thing where my guy only ate fancy feast, began to refuse and also lost weight. These two brought him back.
Also if you have a Kroger/king soopers grocery, Luvsome could also work, Tractor Supply has a kitchen Selects line along with a couple of others, and if you haven't already you could try pouches; Merrick Backcountry, TikiCat, Natural Balance.

Have you tried Rad Cat, or Primal commercial raw?

Also here are some other ideas;

Try making this;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

Also, try making one of these;
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines. --This website has a number of kitten glop recipes, with ingredients that you may very well have in your house.

These can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave. Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand - it's usually smelly. See if it's eaten on its own, then maybe mix it in or put on top
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese