Kitty pooping not even near the box! Help!

ann phoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, both my cats have been thoroughly run thru every possible test at the Vet, and she found nothing wrong with either of them--so, this issue is emotional in origin with my girl.  Her brother, her litter mate and born the same day, is fine.

My girl pees in the boxes in the den or bathroom or--if I have a box in the dining room--she will pee in them just fine, but she will then turn around and poop on the floor in my dining room over and over.  I have cleaned, used deodorizer and she will just poop in another spot in the dining room.  It isn't like she goes back to the last spot she pooped on in the dining room.  She has pooped over a very expensive silk rug I had in there to the point I had to take the rug out.

What brought this on?  She was peeing and pooping in a box in the bathroom where I had two Booda boxes next to each other for her first year just fine--and then one day she stopped and started pooping on my silk dining room rug!  So, then I tried moving one box to the den area when I found the girl pooping in the dining room, and read two boxes next to each other = one big box to the cats.  Thought maybe the two boxes next to each other was the problem.  It wasn't.  Didn't help with the pooping at all, but she will pee in either box.

Thinking of the changes that might have caused this pooping problem:  1. My son who was here the first 2 years of her life moved out of the city in December. 2. Petco quit making the original litter they sold and now sell another similar brand. 3. I took the tops off their Booda boxes, eventually moving one box and adding a 3rd of a different type.

Now I have one old Booda box bottom, one open box from Petco and one expensive box with a top they don't like (I take it off and they use it, to).  So, all 3 boxes are used now by both cats to pee in.

Maybe one of those things changed her, but I am now putting 3 different types of boxes in the house to try and woo her to one of them altho it isn't working yet.  I even bought the new similar litter Petco has which didn't seem to change her behavior.  She will pee in any box--but still insists on pooping on the tiled den floor!

Any suggestions?  Any ideas as to what caused her to start pooping outside the box?  I am just confused and frustrated at this point.

raficat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she was fond of your son, that could be the cause, or it could be the change of litter -  or something else entirely.

If it's just the dining room she is misbehaving in, can you close it off so she can't go in?

Does she get along well with the other cat? other pets and people in the household? She might be trying to define her own private territory. Maybe you can arrange a space just for her?

Some friends of my daughter had a similar situation. They felt it was the dogs in the family that the cat was not comfortable with. They tried everything, then asked my daughter to try taking her to see if she would be happier in a dog-free home. She was, and is living with my daughter still.

Hope you can work things out, keep us posted.