Kitty Play

dvandyke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know my Kitten is only 4 weeks old now but I want to make sure I don't let him get into any bad habits or am I just worrying to much again. I know you are not supposed to let him play with your hand now or it could be disasterous later, right? Since he is basically an orphan all he knows is my hands and He is wanting to play with them I assume the same way he would play with his mother at this age. I have tried several non-catnip toys (I heard catnip was bad for them until they are much older) and can not seem to get him interested in them and he is much to young to play with the other animals in the house. (he is still scared of them and they of him for that matter. Have you ever seen a dog run from a 2 week old kitten when they hiss. It is the funnies thing you ever saw.) Does anyone have any ideas of something I could find that he could play with. Right now he loves snuggeling on his back in my lap and trying to grab my fingers above his head. I have tried doing that with toys but he is just not interested. (He also takes his paw and wraps it around my finger like he is holding my hand. It is so cute)

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is young and interacting with you like he would his mom which is where he should be at this age. Right now, I would leave him be and let him have your hand. He has claimed you as his, and his scent is on your hand and it comforts him. If he was from a stray litter, he will not know "toys" and again as young as he is toys are not that important. If you can, locate a peacock or a pheasant feather, or purchase Da Bird (a really great cat toy) or just get a dead leaf from outside and let him play with that-

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert (by far), but how about a stuffed animal that is similar in size to your hand or to him (but make sure it doesn't have eyes or anything else that could come off that your little guy could choke on) ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dvandyke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I really don't mind him playing with my hand. except when he is eating he is really careful. Come eating time though sometimes he goes nuts and I get scratched. It's like he thinks he needs to kill the bottle before he can eat it. Is that normal? When he gets to wild I just put him down and walk away until he hollors for me (about two seconds) then we start over. I am going to try to get him to drink out of a dish again tonight. I have tried every couple of days and right now he still prefers the bottle. Taking him to Vet tonight to get weighed again. I will ask the vet while I am there about what kind of food she thinks he is ready for.