Kitty Play Question

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently got my second kitty, Soul, about a month ago so my other kitty, Rei, would have a buddy and not get so bored.
Glad to say they were just fine together without the need for a slow introduction!
My question is that they most certainly play and get along well but when Rei is doing the chasing and gets ahold of Soul, Soul lays her ears back and starts yelling. No hissing or claws out from what I've seen though. Is it possible that Rei is a bit too rough and is hurting Soul?
I want to add that when Soul is doing the chasing they're both fine no ears back or yelling and that Rei frequently bathes Soul and they are almost always sleeping together so I don't think that the issue is related to any real aggression or tension between them but I am concerned because I don't want Soul to possibly get hurt if Rei is too rough

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think she is getting hurt. If so, she would avoid him and not go back for more. Complaining about your buddy getting the best of you is pretty common in cat play and is a way of telling the other cat they are too rough. It is how each learns the limits of play with one another.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I knew cats played rough but was always told they shouldn't be crying or yelling out. I feel better knowing it's just Soul being a baby and not Rei trying to assert her dominance lol

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think that if there's no hissing or claws out, it's just play fighting. Here's a video that shows what this should look like:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the most part it looks like that. Soul lays her ears back and yells when Rei is on top of her a lot of the time though. I was just concerned because I thought they shouldn't do that. But I guess since Rei is twice the size of Soul (4 and 2 pounds respectively) it would make a bit of sense for Soul to cry out when Rei is too rough

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are also just sort of cry babies when it comes to play. They aren't being hurt but they will sound like they are being murdered.