Kitty Pee

tmwick10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just moved into a new home less than a week ago. My small caico has never had issues going to bathroom until now. Since then she had peed outside the litter box 2-3 times. I have 2 litter pans in my basement, but she is too afaird to go down there. Any idea as to how to help ither than move 1 box upstairs to help ?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think moving a box upstairs is the best thing to do for now. Moving really stresses out a cat, they like familiar surroundings and routine. If it continues after moving the box then I would get her checked for a UTI. Stress can also cause bladder issues. Once she is settled in you may be able to go back to just having boxes downstairs but it may take awhile.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: - and the sooner the better. She will eventually settle into her new home and once that happens perhaps the litter boxes can be kept downstairs. But you don't want to allow this to become a habit nor do you want to set up a situation where she does end up with an infection. Make sure you clean the areas where she has peed with enzymatic cleaner to help deter her from continually going in those places. If you don't see some changes in her peeing habits with a box being made more available to her, then as mentioned above, the stress could have induced a bladder infection and she would need a vet check up and urinalysis/urine culture done.

Tbh, there really should be a litter box on each level of a home as a standard practice.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, move a box where she feels comfortable, you can always change it later. I buy those cat litter box enclosures on amazon to hide my boxes, they look like end tables. It helps to contain the odor too. you might check into it if you don't like looking at a litter box.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I use a litter box enclosure too. Looks like a piece of lovely furniture and it didn't take too long to get the cats used to using it. Now they use that one more than any other one.

Linah4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agree that you need to move a litter box up stairs, at least in the short term until she is comfortable with the entire house. When she's getting more comfortable in her new environment, try putting the box right at the bottom of the stairs so she can maybe see/small it from the top?

It may help to keep lights on down there if you're not already. I know for my old man his vision isn't the best and keeping the light on tends to help. Good luck!