Kitty panting

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there
My 4 month old kitty pants like a dog when he plays hard. He recovers quickly but I have never seen a cat pant before. Is this normal? Anyone else have a panting kitty?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's likely normal :) All animals and people pant after exercise or strenuous activity. Give your kitten a few minutes rest to allow the heart rate to slow back down to normal. The kitten will probably want to go back to playing right away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! He only pants when playing intensely and only for a few seconds. Maybe it’s normal for him but I’ll call the vet tomorrow to see if I should bring him in

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take a video of the panting and share it with the vet. That may avoid a trip to the vet if the vet says it's just normal panting due to playing hard. One of my cats is a super active breed and he literally bounced off the walls non-stop when he was a kitten. He panted a lot which the vet said was totally normal due to his extreme activity level.

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet says some cats will pant if overexerted. As long as he catches his breath quickly and doesn’t pant when resting he’s probably ok so I’m not really worried😻Thanks for the advise😀

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah it’s weird but now that I’m reassured he’s ok It’s actually kinda cute😀I’ll try getting a video to post but probably by the time I get my phone he’ll have stopped😂