Kitty Not Grooming Properly

Auutay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat recently hasn't really been grooming herself properly... her fur feels oily in many places and she smells a bit too... I'm not sure what's going on with her but I am getting worried. She recently got spayed but her wound is completely okay and her behavior is the same too.
Anyone know what could be the problem?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, she's a young cat...I don't have any ideas as to why, but if you haven't been already can you help her out by brushing her? Or even a bath--she's all healed up, right? No bath if not completely healed yet, save that for later. In any case, try brushing and rub a damp paper towel over her as you're brushing and rubbing your hands over her, see if that doesn't help.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty - was she always a poor groomer or is this recent? I second the suggestion on helping her out. I find kitties really appreciate grooming as a sign of affection. A cheap plastic comb (for people) is a feline favorite.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since she was spayed? And has the vet checked her since? Sometimes there a problems with the spay site that you cannot see, until it is advanced. There are sutures under the skin, and if there is an infection that could explain her lack of grooming, and smell. I dont know, but i think i would schedule a vet visit .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Auutay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She usually takes very good care of herself :/ and a friend of mine recommended that. I will give it a shot!
Poor kitty - was she always a poor groomer or is this recent? I second the suggestion on helping her out. I find kitties really appreciate grooming as a sign of affection. A cheap plastic comb (for people) is a feline favorite.

Auutay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its been a little over a week now. Almost 2 weeks. The wound itself looks okay but you're right we can't see everything. I'm going to schedule a vet appointment on Monday.
How long has it been since she was spayed? And has the vet checked her since? Sometimes there a problems with the spay site that you cannot see, until it is advanced. There are sutures under the skin, and if there is an infection that could explain her lack of grooming, and smell. I dont know, but i think i would schedule a vet visit .

Auutay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been brushing her a bit. Can't bathe her because of her wound. So I'm gonna try the damp towel!
So, she's a young cat...I don't have any ideas as to why, but if you haven't been already can you help her out by brushing her? Or even a bath--she's all healed up, right? No bath if not completely healed yet, save that for later. In any case, try brushing and rub a damp paper towel over her as you're brushing and rubbing your hands over her, see if that doesn't help.