Kitty Not Eating much, please help!

melissaann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I'm new here. In the last 4-5 days, my cat stopped eating his dry food. He eats a few bites of his wet food, that's all. I don't think he's eating enough. He also stopped taking treats. He drinks a lot of water and goes to the bathroom regularly, however, he hasn't pooped since Thursday. (But he never used to poop every day, it's was always every few days.) He acts perfectly fine. He just doesn't seem to like his food. He comes over by the food area and cries that he wants food, but when I put it down, he's not interested. I did call my vet and she said as long as he's not lethargic, he should be okay and to feed him some boiled chicken. I made an appointment anyway because I'm such a worrywart. Is there anything else I can do for my little guy? He's 4 and weighs 10 1/2 pounds. I adopted him 6 months ago. I'm still a relatively new cat owner. Sorry about this long post.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He could be obstructed, he could have something in his throat, or he could have problems with his mouth? He could have an infection, it really could be anything, and there are so many times I wish they could talk. You can boil up some chicken, see if he will eat a little bit of canned pumpkin. If you have loose catnip sprinkle some of that on his food, but just a tiny bit- nuke his canned food a few seconds in the microwave, or go to the store and get some acidolpholus capsules, pour one on a plate, wet your little finger, dip it in the mixture and rub the mixture on his gums-

Good luck, hope it is just being a finicky cat and not something serious

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by melissaann

Hi everyone. I'm new here. In the last 4-5 days, my cat stopped eating his dry food. He eats a few bites of his wet food, that's all. I don't think he's eating enough. He also stopped taking treats. He drinks a lot of water and goes to the bathroom regularly, however, he hasn't pooped since Thursday. (But he never used to poop every day, it's was always every few days.) He acts perfectly fine. He just doesn't seem to like his food. He comes over by the food area and cries that he wants food, but when I put it down, he's not interested. I did call my vet and she said as long as he's not lethargic, he should be okay and to feed him some boiled chicken. I made an appointment anyway because I'm such a worrywart. Is there anything else I can do for my little guy? He's 4 and weighs 10 1/2 pounds. I adopted him 6 months ago. I'm still a relatively new cat owner. Sorry about this long post.
i'm glad you made the appt - these were Mouse's first symptoms... not eating, drinking, pooping...etc. then the lethargy, then the vomiting - even tho she had nothing to vomit! he may have something stuck in his mouth that hurts, & he can't chew w/o pain. again, the vet can check - i'm glad you're taking him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissaann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. The weird thing is he drinks a ton of water. Whenever he goes by the food bowls, I peek over because I'm excited that he might eat, but he's always drinking. Yesterday I moved his food bowl (don't know why, just trying different stuff) and he ate a few bites of wet food and one whole treat! He sniffed his dry food for a while, but didn't eat any. It's so weird because he acts perfectly normal.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, good thing you are taking him in for an exam...this just isn't normal...not to cry that he's hungry and not eat, and the no stools since last Thursday is not good. Constipation is enough to knock my oldest cat completely off his appetite.

Nausea is another factor that can affect appetite, is your kitty doing any lip licking or double swallowing?

I'd try some plain baby food (plain beef or chicken)- check to be sure no onions, to just get him eating something. And offer any flavor of wet food to get him eating a bit more of that. Fancy Feast may not be the best quality on the market, but it comes in a tremendous number of flavors and combinations *and* textures from with gravy to without, cubed, sliced, whole bits of seafood in clear jelly, shredded, flaked...try a variety.

Please come back and let us know what you find out?

melissaann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty ate a little beef baby food. Twice! He ate two meals and one treat! At least I can tide him over with baby food until I get him to the vet.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by melissaann

Kitty ate a little beef baby food. Twice! He ate two meals and one treat! At least I can tide him over with baby food until I get him to the vet.
Yay!

melissaann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone. Turns out my poor Sonny cat will spend New Years and the whole weekend in the cat emergeny room. He has hepatic lipidosis sp? from not eating and he has a kidney infection and enlarged lymph nodes. My doctor says it might be FIP which is terminal. Please pray for my Sonny cat this weekend! I'm so worried..

aniskyoftrent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh Melissa, I am so sorry about
Sonny
.. I will be thinking good thoughts for him. Please remember that we are always here to talk to. You don't have to go through anything alone..
Sending all my love to you and Sonny

ash_bct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no

I'll be thinking of Sonny and you and praying that it isnt FIP, please update us when you can!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
make sure the vet does outside testing for FIP this disease is so misdiagnosed. I hope your kitty pulls through-

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry. Take comfort in the fact that you acted quickly and you being a worrywart was the correct way to be. Mommy always know best. I hope everything turns out O.K. I will be praying that everything works out O.K.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would second the advice about mis-diagnosis of FIP. My vet (and I after reading a load on the net) both thought Persil probably had FIP after she had similar symptoms for two weeks. It turned out she had a diaphragmatic hernia and needed major surgery. Fortunately the prognosis is now good. But I feel for you - the thought that your beloved animal has a terminal disease is so hard to bear. Let us hope it is something else. Has Sonny been Xrayed for bowel obstructions or other internal problems?

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your little Sonny. The folks on The Cat Site will be here for you so you won't have to go through this alone.

I'm praying for you and my kitties are sending purrs and kitty prayers.

melissaann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your well wishes and prayers. Unfortunately, I had to put Sonny down this morning. Everyday he spent in the ER, he got worse and worse. First, liver problems, then fluid around kidneys, enlarged lymph nodes, lung and breathing problems, then an enlarged heart. Finally they told me it was possible he could pass away in a few hours. So I made a decision to end his suffering. I only had him for 6 months but he was the best cat and he will be missed.

Melissa

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for you - I know how it is to keep hoping against hope. This is always the most difficult decision to take, balancing your cat's welfare and comfort against your own sorrow. You did the right thing and he is happy now. May you find comfort in that.

aniskyoftrent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dear Melissa,

I am so sorry for your loss
You did the right thing by taking away
Sonny's
pain and allowing him to get his wings at The Rainbow Bridge. Please remember we are all here for you
Sending all my love to you

May Your
Sonny
be well and feel peace in
Kitty Heaven

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i understand your grief, as Mouse died on Tuesday, December 28th. i'll keep you in my prayers.