Kitty loved his food for a while now he's tired of it grrrr

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well my kitty loved his dry food for close to 6 months maybe even longer and that's a record for him :lol: i'm looking to change it up but want to do it in a way where his system wont be surprised.

For instance, his current food has 3.5% fiber and I don't want to change that up too much since he has a habit of getting constipated (he takes lactulose every day to help him...he's also about 20 years old) he eats wet but does get some dry. The brands I'm looking at are: Fussie Cat Market Fresh - Chicken & Turkey Meal (he likes chicken) Acana Meadowlands and Homestead, Halo Sensitive Stomach and Nulo each of these go from about 4-5% fiber but I probably missed some. I looked at Tiki Cat but is it still not a good idea to give a cat with kidney issues higher protein?
I know this isn't his main meal but its enough that I want him to be eating something good for him you know?

He has a history with kidney issues from being blocked with crystals as a young cat and then later having more blockages until he had PU surgery, so he gets wet, water bowls and some kibble because tbh he wasn't eating enough wet no matter what I tried.

Last edited:

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Such is the nature of a twenty year old cat, especially one with kidney issues. Whatever it is you're feeding him currently - do they make a variety of recipes that you could alternate?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Such is the nature of a twenty year old cat, especially one with kidney issues. Whatever it is you're feeding him currently - do they make a variety of recipes that you could alternate?
Right now he is eating Solid Gold winged tiger. I guess I could try him on another solid gold version and see if he likes it. He wasn't a big fan of Indigo Moon (much to my annoyance or Katz-n-Flocken though.

Edit: I've narrowed it down to Tiki Cat, Nulo Medal series Turkey/Chicken, Fussie Cat. I was going to try another Solid Gold brand but he's already turned up his nose at two other kinds :(

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As far as the kidney issues and high protein, if he has CKD, then it all depends on what stage he's in. Now the general consensus is that you don't really need to feed low protein food until that are in later stages, BUT lower phosphorus is still a good idea if you can swing it. Of my three kidney cats, none of them really even ate low phos foods, simply because they didn't like them.

Since basically you are feedng kibble as a snack, I'd think any of your choices would be ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should have went with Tiki or Fussie tried the Medal Series today and its a no go sigh but the good news is I've found out that if I chop up his wet food in the food processor it becomes smaller and easier for him to eat so hey maybe he will get more moisture out of this ordeal.

He's a strange little thing, he wont eat pate or broth. He only likes sliced food but apparently it can't be sliced too big.