Kitty litter everywhere!

wibblywobbly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here, I'm hoping that among a group of crazy cat people there will be some brilliant solutions :) I have 4 cats, and they almost always have excellent litter box manners. The main annoyance is that they kick the litter out of the box. My bathroom floor is always covered with litter. Its really hard to sweep because its a rough (high friction) tile, so no matter how many passes with the broom there's always pieces left in the grout! We're moving in a couple months, so I will no longer have "its too hard to sweep the tile" as an excuse, but moving always gets me excited about a fresh start. New home, fresh slate to start new habits, and find new solutions. One of the litter boxes has a partial lid, its just a rim around it that gives a little bit of a lip on the inside to supposedly prevent litter kicking out. Doesn't help a bit! 

We've tried those mats under the litter box that supposedly prevent litter tracking, but not really impressed. What I think would be ideal is something smooth/flexible underneath, that sticks out about a foot in every direction around the box, has a wall a few inches high.. basically a moat! Then as needed I could pick up the box, pick up the...thingie, bend it slightly and put the litter either back into the box or in the trash, depending on if its clean litter or nasty litter :p Does anyone have a "system" like this? Or a better way?

I do have one cat who regularly stands in the litter box with his butt hanging over the edge and poops right on the floor :/ I've watched them all and he's the only one who does this. Not sure if there's a solution for that. Bigger litter box? But he still might stay at the edge! 

Anyway, would love to hear any ideas anyone has! I'm sure this isn't an uncommon problem and someone has to have a brilliant solution, right?

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a larger litter box. I do not use the ones sold in pet stores because they are too small, not tall enough, not strong enough and too expen$ive.
I purchased several RUBBERMADE 10 gal. cargo containers at the hardware store for about $8.oo
They measure about 22 X 15 and 9" deep.
They last almost forever and are easy to clean. I put about 20lbs of clumping litter in them and get very little splash on the floor .
Hope this helps . Good luck .

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm Group of Crazy cat people 
  you've just become a New member of an Elite crowd of cat enthusiats 
  Welcome to the site

With the Edge pooper found placing a good quality plastic under the boxes

works best.

Having a large rectangle box with high edge helps some people actually use plastic tote boxes for multi cats.

Have you considered using Pellets instead of Clay Litter?  It makes a world of difference
Clay litters stick because it forms clumps, Pellets just turn into fine fine sawdust no sticking much less tracking (no mess unless I spill) no odors, very inexpensive, no clumping mess stuck on your poop shovel less bacteria to worry about. So it's much cleaner, less toxic, more economical.

Last edited:

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem. I also have a large litter box. My two kittens think kicking litter around everywhere is a game. They cover the entire laundry floor. I was about to write in for advice when i saw this post!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone posted a litter box set up awhile ago where the litter box was inside of a large cardboard box with a cut out. The cat was able to enter and exit through the cut out and the cardboard box was large enough to contain litter. It looked like there was enough room between the litter box and the cut out opening for the cat to walk through and catch any litter stuck to paws before the cat exits the box.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi and welcome to TCS!

i have large and tall plastic storage bins that i turned upside down (lids on the bottom/floor). i cut a square-ish hole (with rounded corners) in one end of the upside-down bin, 6-7 inches up from the bottom/lid. i also cut a large 'skylight' in the top of the upside-down bin -- the skylight helps allow enough light for my cats to be able to see what they're doing in the litter boxes. i used a power drill with a drum sander (drill) bit to smooth down all rough edges from my cutting.

okay, so the plastic storage bin is upside down, with the lid on the bottom/floor. you can just lift the bin off of the lid easily. on the lid i set an inexpensive plastic litter pan, then put the bin back on it.

every day when i scoop the litter boxes, i lift off and set to one side the bins, then scoop the litter boxes. any extra litter that gets kicked out of the litter pan ends up on the lid beneath it, so i just move the litter pan off the lid and tilt/pour the litter off the lid and back into the litter pan. if there's been an 'over the edge of the litter pan' accident by one of my cats, it's on the lid and not on the floor -- so easier to clean up.

when i bought the plastic storage bins with lids and the litter pans, i grabbed one of the litter pans and went to the plastic bins section of the store. i made sure the litter pan fit in the upside down bin, in the inside and on the lid -- and that the bin fit over the litter pan on the lid. plastic storage bins many times have slightly angled sides.

i still use litter mats in front of the plastic bin litter box set ups, but there's so much less litter for me to clean up.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
may i ask -- is your boy who poops over the edge of the litter box a big cat, or long in his body? if so, you might try an under the bed plastic storage bin -- like one that's about 3 feet long, for a litter box. some cats who are big and/or long need more room. this was the case with my mickey
, and the long under the bed storage bin gave him the extra room he needed. and if you needed to, you could place a wider/longer lid (from a bigger plastic storage bin) underneath the under the bed bin litter box.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm Group of Crazy cat people :wife:   you've just become a New member of an Elite crowd of cat enthusiats  :bigwink:   Welcome to the site
With the Edge pooper found placing a good quality plastic under the boxes
works best.
Having a large rectangle box with high edge helps some people actually use plastic tote boxes for multi cats.
Have you considered using Pellets instead of Clay Litter?  It makes a world of difference:sun: Clay litters stick because it forms clumps, Pellets just turn into fine fine sawdust no sticking much less tracking (no mess unless I spill) no odors, very inexpensive, no clumping mess stuck on your poop shovel less bacteria to worry about. So it's much cleaner, less toxic, more economical. :rub:  
How do you get the pee out if it's non.clumping?

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a "high pee-er" - she had arthritis and couldn't squat so she was always peeing over the edge of her litter box.  I bought a litter box called never miss and it solved the problem (mostly!)    it also helps keep litter int he box for cats who are enthusiastic diggers/bury-ers

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Daily sifting  :nod:   pellets absorb moisture then break down into fine sawdust.
No urine odors. Takes longer to sift than clumping, depends on how
many pellets you use.
I've only ever used clumping for well over 20 years. I've never heard of pellets.

meg trema

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use a large storage box with the top having a large enough space cut out so the cats can jump on top of the box then into it. All litter remains in the box.
Idea I got through a breeder. It's a lot cleaner.
Kinda like the dome litter box but with the hole on top. We used a mini saw to cut a nice hole on top.