Kitty keeps eating box spring fluff. What to do?

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a four-year-old cat named Rufus and he developed pica a couple years ago. He pretty much just likes to eat sisal string from cat trees so it’s pretty manageable. We took in a four month kitten recently and she is having the same habits.

This morning she was eating the fluff of my boxspring. I’m wondering if there’s anyway to discourage this behavior?
Im trying to think of ways to keep it so they can’t get under the bed but I’ve got nothing. Any tips to stop this behavior? Either to discourage her from eating or just to keep her out of there? Pics included

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
What about cardboard pieces either taped to the underside of the bed, or cut to fit vertically along the sides so she/they can't get under the bed?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a four-year-old cat named Rufus and he developed pica a couple years ago. He pretty much just likes to eat sisal string from cat trees so it’s pretty manageable. We took in a four month kitten recently and she is having the same habits.

This morning she was eating the fluff of my boxspring. I’m wondering if there’s anyway to discourage this behavior?
Im trying to think of ways to keep it so they can’t get under the bed but I’ve got nothing. Any tips to stop this behavior? Either to discourage her from eating or just to keep her out of there? Pics included
I would use a fitted sheet on the underside of your box spring so that she can’t get to it. Alternately you could buy a cover for the entire box spring or even tack some thin plywood over each part that has the fluff in it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding the kitten enough food? Hungry kittens will seek out things to eat, even non edible things. Free feed the kitten both dry and canned food until she is about a year old. You may need to feed the kitten separately from the older cat or use a microchip feeder. Do you know the kitten's previous history?

A bunch of under the bed storage containers filled with out of season clothes and infrequently used items may help. You'll have to pack the containers in under the bed to prevent a determined cat from pushing the boxes enough to squeeze under.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of plywood for under the mattress, too. It's not likely the cats will be able to destroy that. I was thinking 3/16" lauan, but a quick search at Home Depot's website had 7/16" OSB at about 1/3 the price. This is probably going to be for temporary use and the OSB is more likely to be usable for some other future project, so I'd go with that.