Kitty just diagnosed with lymphoma

siamese2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kiki has had chronic pancreatitis, ibd for the last four years, and thanks to many tips I found regarding pilling etc. on this forum, The last two years have settled into a pattern that has been relatively "normal". After Christmas this year, which is always a bit hard on him, he never really bounced back the way he normally does, he seemed to be eating less and looked a little skinny, I took him for his six month check up and found out he had lost 2 lbs. We did all of his blood work, which for him, was mostly within "normal range" but my sweet vet was concerned, as was I,  so we scheduled an ultrasound. The diagnosis is lymphoma and because of his anxiety (he has been on Prozac for three years... a life saver for him) chronic pancreatitis, and his sensitivity to many vaccines and drugs..(he is 13) we have decided to just treat him with an increased dose of pred and cerenia daily. He is extremely sensitive to app stims and two weeks in, he is just starting to not want to eat. He seems sometimes like he wants to, but then just turns his head.. there is only a limited amount of foods that he tolerated.. usually dried duck liver crushed between my fingers sprinkled on his food does the trick, but yesterday.. no interest.. tried some forti flora which did interest him, but I have to keep sprinkling it on to get him to get through just a little bit of food. I get so tempted to try some other foods, but he has just eaten novel protein/allergy food for years, so my vet and I are very hesitant to open that door, but it is so hard. He has always been a complicated and difficult little furball and the last 4 years have been hard. I am trying to just surround him with love and peace and calm  but I  feel so frustrated that I can't do more to help him. I guess I just needed to share with like minded cat lovers. The information I have found here has really made a huge impact on helping me cope with his illnesses and I thank all of you that contribute.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so very sorry to hear about Kiki.  You're right that a lot of people here can empathize with you as they have nurtured and cared for cats with lymphoma themselves.  My own Chula might be facing that diagnosis so I am especially touched by Kiki's situation.

You have clearly done a wonderful job of taking care of your young man for the past four years and he is very lucky to have you.  Having a compassionate and knowledgeable vet who you trust will help both of you as you go through this.  Some people start a journal when they get a diagnosis like this and update it every two or three days with news of what's working and what isn't, how their kitty is doing and how they themselves are coping. It can provide a lot of support to you as well as help others who are going through the same thing.  You'll find that people will give you a lot of tips and support and if you have difficult days, they are there to help you with that, as well.  Here's an example of such a journal:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/316100/...ill-loved-one-i-share-with-you-simons-journey

Meanwhile, do you have any pictures of Kiki?  You can never post too many cat pictures on TCS and we would love to see the little guy.