Kitty joins in daily dog walks

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats, Cheesekee, rescued at a young age, is best pals with my dog Virac. I take Virac for walks 2x a day. At 5:30 am and 8 pm. Both times. Cheesekee joins us. All my cats are indoor outdoor but I have never had one stray very far from home. This Cheesekee is something else. She gets along with any strays but she is skittish if she sees a human other than me. During our walks, she knows exactly what to do when she sees a car/dog/person. Either she hides in nearby bushes or under a parked car or just sticks to my feet or Virac's. She comes when called (which helps a lot). Anyway, I don't really have a question. I just want to know what you guys think. :-)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a cat that lives near me that does the same thing. When I am riding my bike around the neighborhood, I always see a man walking his dog. I started to see a cat walking near them but didn't think much of it until I saw the cat near him many times. The cat would always be in the grass but close to them. it would wander a bit here and there to explore but always end up behind them. I thought it was the oddest thing. Finally, I stopped and asked him if that was his cat because I wondered if it was a stray who was trying to get someone to help it. If it had been I would at least have fed it although it does look well fed. He said that it was his cat and that it really liked to go for walks with them. He said it never wandered too far and never tried to stay outside after the walk was over. 

More proof that cats are wonderfully mysterious creatures. 

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My outdoor indoor cat does the samething. When I walk my dog it sometimes wants to walk with me. I always worry about cars coming so now what I do is I give him wet food to distract him from walking with us.

shellyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think this is so cool.  We used to have an outdoor cat that followed us on walks.  We have an indoor cat now that we are trying to teach to walk on a leash but it is more like a drag.  Ideally I would like to have him start out on a leash and then put him in some kind of back pack.  We have Newfoundlands who could easily carry him but I have never seen a cat in a pack like a dog or a baby.