Kitty inappropriately urinating :(

tassie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi There 

I see there are lots of questions on this and I have been on the net for over an hour reading advice but thought I would post the problem as many solutions are regarding litter trays which we don't use.

We rescued a cat a few months back and things have been working out fine with newbie and existing kitty until recently when newbie started to pee on a particular spot on the carpet.  Most of the time the cats are in a spacious apartment with a cat flap and we live in the countryside - both come and go quite happily - we don't have a litter box and I don't intend to, both were wild cats before they lived with us.  The problem comes when newbie is allowed up in the main house (a guesthouse) - she pees in the same spot in the hallway within seconds.

I have cleaned and cleaned with a carpet cleaner machine and enzyme solution but she still likes it there.  I can't figure out what makes her do it there and want to trust her to come up to the main house as guests love her.

I think I need to spray a deterrent there, has anyone tried one on carpets?  But I guess that might not be the root of the issue and she just might find somewhere else!  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She will continue to pee there because she can still smell it.  It smells like a litter box to her.  You need to try another cleaner. 

The only suggestions to get her to stop are to really clean that area with the best enzymatic cleaner you can find.  The one you are using must not be working.  I also would really suggest a litter box if you continue to let her inside.  Otherwise you may need to keep her outside.

Also is she spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tassie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes maybe it has gone deeper than I think too - where she does it has wood underneath not concrete.

We don't know if she has been spayed, the vet checked her out when we found her and I forgot to ask. She is ten years old (she has tattoo ID).  Can you tell from the outside, without an xray?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes maybe it has gone deeper than I think too - where she does it has wood underneath not concrete.

We don't know if she has been spayed, the vet checked her out when we found her and I forgot to ask. She is ten years old (she has tattoo ID).  Can you tell from the outside, without an xray?
Where is the tattoo id?  It is common now to place a tattoo on a cats belly to identify it has been spayed/neutered.  It is very important that she is spayed or you are going to end up with kittens.  It also could be part of the urination problem. 

I would find out of the tattoo id was associated with spay/neuter.

tassie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will ask the vet to check next time I take her - it is in her ear!  She is ten years old but guess she can still get pregnant....

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I will ask the vet to check next time I take her - it is in her ear!  She is ten years old but guess she can still get pregnant....
That tattoo could mean she is spayed.  It could also be an id marker.  Did you have her checked to see if she is microchipped?

kghia

Cat Lover & Shelter Volunteer
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I agree with ShadowsRescue that if you intend to let the kitties inside you need to have a litter box...

Could you set one up and see if it'll redirect them to use it instead?

I know a lady with a large farm and the kitties come inside/go outside as they please and she still has a number of litter boxes. I don't think they can be expected to strictly do their business outside. Even if you clean up the spot where they have been peeing, the next time it happens again, this will just keep going on and on.

tassie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again

Just thought I would post back - I have eliminated a few things.  She doesn't have a UTI and she has been spayed.  We have completely cleaned the whole carpet with a powerful carpet cleaner with enzyme solution twice. And...yes she still wants to pee there! Not in exactly the same spot as before, just anywhere in the general area

I have had cats all my life and never had to have a litter box, although it does seem to be the norm to have one. I wonder if anyone can shed some advice on why a litter box is necessary?  

She obviously isn't afraid of the outside or the cat flap as when she is in the apartment, she never soils inside and goes in and out happily.  I would prefer this to be her norm rather than a litter box, as we aren't always around so I fear it would be dirty and she would be even more unsettled

My next strategy is not to let her into the area she likes to pee for one week, but if that doesn't work I am a bit stuck so any advice much appreciated. I read about applying citrus smells, anyone tried that with success?

Thanks