kitty friends:)

caity_bean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
our kitten that my gf and i got about 2 weeks ago has just met our first “born” cat gary and it’s going very well some swats here and there from him which is normal, they’ll chase and tackle each other but after the 3rd day introducing them they aren’t playing as much and seem almost distant from each other? like he’s not showing interest in her anymore and she’ll chirp at him to play and he’ll chirp back but then he’ll walk away to another room. am i over reacting as a new kitten mom or should i try to get them to play together before he decides he doesn’t like her at all? just wondering what i should do to encourage loving playing behavior:) PS here’s the two babies in question:) thank you!

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which cat is the one that knows how to drive and why aren't they named Toonces?

Anyway, if they are playing at all, thats a win. Lots of times it takes a lot longer for cats to become buddies and start to play. Plenty of eventual best buds hated each other for days. So a nice win! But there is a lot going on -- plenty of new things and getting used to things going on, so you can't track how much they play day to day. They will figure out how much they want to play on their own, nothing you can or need to do about it. Well, you can bust out a lure toy or laser pointer, but thats more to have fun with them and get them some excercise, maybe also to tucker them out a bit, rather then to encourage them to play with each other. If they aren't totally comfortable with each other yet, that may not go that well, but there is no harm in trying. Worst case you need to wait a few more days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caity_bean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
tofu is our new kitten and is the one that knows how to drive we were going back and forth between miso soup and tofu 😂 but good that makes me feel better! now we just have the dogs to introduce lmao

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see you have a kitten and an adult cat. Perhaps it would be best if you brought home a second kitten? Tofu is likely wanting more play than your adult cat is willing or able to give him. If Tofu has another kitten his age to play with, those two can occupy each other and let your adult cat observe them and interact in his own good time.

Was your adult cat a solitary cat before you got Tofu? If yes, for how long? Was he raised as a solitary kitten?

Did you introduce your cats slowly and gradually to each other as cat behaviorists like Jackson Galaxy recommend?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caity_bean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see you have a kitten and an adult cat. Perhaps it would be best if you brought home a second kitten? Tofu is likely wanting more play than your adult cat is willing or able to give him. If Tofu has another kitten his age to play with, those two can occupy each other and let your adult cat observe them and interact in his own good time.

Was your adult cat a solitary cat before you got Tofu? If yes, for how long? Was he raised as a solitary kitten?

Did you introduce your cats slowly and gradually to each other as cat behaviorists like Jackson Galaxy recommend?
my old roommate got a kitten and her and gary were exposed for about 2 months and the introduction went very well. tofus personality was very different than my roommates kittens. her kitten was more vocal about what she liked and didn’t like and so gary (my adult cat) i guess understood more? tofu is much more skiddish and doesn’t really understand the whole hunting stalking thing. we would get another kittne but my gf is allergic bad so two cats is already a lot for her. the introduction we did was fine we introduced them behind doors for about a week and after gary’s hissing and aggression behavior stopped and tofu became more confident we introduced them and it went fine

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Brushing your cats everyday will reduce the allergens they produce.