Kitty Flopping With Outfit

shiaena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! Recently I bought Kali, my little calico kitten, a little outfit that is made to cover up incisions after surgery, it even has a little pouch inside for pads and clips on the booty area with gaps so she can use her bathroom. It arrived today, and her surgery is tomorrow, so I tried it on her to see how she'd react and...well...She keeps flopping over!

I gave her treats, played with toys, and tried everything possible to get her comfortable. She'll eat anything in front of her but refuses to take a step for anything, else she'll just fall over. I checked how the outfit fit on her, I can fit my fingers in the neck area with ease, arms arent tight, legs arent tight, groin area is actually just a tad loose. There is nothing holding her back! Her eyes arent dilated, shes not poofed up, not cowering and her tail is moving and not sticking between her legs so I know shes not scared. Shes just rendered immobile and keeps meowing and yowling.

The surgery is just tomorrow and I'm worried. I've already experienced the hell of the cone of shame with Espa, my older cat. And the horrors of no cone, and her licking the wound. This seems like the best option, but mom thinks I may be traumatizing her. What should I do?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume she is going in for her spay? I have never used a cone when mine have been spayed and had no issues with excessive licking. You can see how she does and then decide on a cone or the outfit.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are also "donuts of shame" that appear far more comfy than the cones.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat did that "freeze and flop and fall to the floor" routine too, when I was trying to introduce her to a walking harness. :lol:

It will be hard as you only got the little outfit for her today and I know the surgery is tomorrow. Usually introducing cats to things like these happen over a span of time, so they can gradually adjust to it. Have you put it on just once and not taken it off since?