Kitty fake nails

karkel59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does this work ? How long do they last ? We don't want to declaw....we wouldn't....vet had said something about fake nails....any input ?

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have used soft paws for Molly and yes they do work.  I had them put on professionally (although you can do it yourself), they last 4-6 weeks before needing to be replaced.

She didn't seem to mind them either, she is very easygoing.

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used them once in a while. It's best to put them on professionally.i tried to do it myself and it's messy and comical :). They do work

juleamq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering if  the cats using the scratching post would remove the nails sooner.  Should I take the scratching post away?

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didnt take the scratching post away and the nails stayed on about four weeks. I only put the nail caps on AsherDash, the other cats don't scratch furniture.

romansmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this isn't my thread but I thought I'd try to ask instead of bogging down the forums with another thread. Do the soft paws prevent accidental scratching on furniture? And if they are chewed off and consumed are they dangerous to the cat?

meandthegov

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I put the caps on my cat, whenever he went to use the scratch post he didn't do it for very long because I think that the rubber was "pulling" on his nails and it was uncomfortable. He would shake his paws out after trying for a few seconds. They fell off one at a time as his claws grew out, took about a month for them all to be gone. To answer the questions, YES they prevent front-claw scratching on furniture because of the blunt rubber tips. But if your cat leaps off of the leather couch, his back claws will likely leave scratch marks. The package doesn't have any warnings about accidental consumption, but I am guessing as a reasonable observer that yes, swallowing a small rubber object would be harmful to the cat. However, when the caps started to fall off I only recovered 9--so who knows