Kitty Enclosures

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't tell---is there any insulation or is it just a hole in the tote?

From what I've found personally, that kind of tote is best used inside, under a shelter, or with some kind of roof. Otherwise the top collects over an inch of rain and snow and leaves and it can get very unpleasant.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's bedding :tongue:. I meant for the walls and top. If it's outside exposed to the wind it should have insulation in the walls and top. Foam sheets work well.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen these done this way too with a small styrofoam ice chest inside the straw that has a hole in it that the cat can go into. The straw acts as insulation between the ice chest and tote container. If it is used under a roof edge or could have some plastic tented over the top it’s bound to be much better than a cat with no shelter. Off the ground a little..... even better! It’s fantastic that you are making a kitty a place to go! Looks like it is close to the house which will help block wind and weather.
Cleanitsupply.com has one made out of a Rubbermaid roughneck tote Like this. Yay! Helping kitties!
There are some great shelters made here on TCS! Kudos to you Cquinn1021 Cquinn1021

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing I see missing is an exit. Most feral cats will not enter a shelter where there is only one way in/out. I always made mine with a smaller exit hole. After the cat adapted to the shelter, I would then cover the exit hole.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the day my grandparents had one of these they made and they covered the entire thing (minus the door!) in a big, thick kind of plastic sheeting. It was wooden, not plastic, so I think they worried the wood would rot or decay.
Cquinn1021 Cquinn1021 it's really cool your humane society did this class, and even cooler that you took it and shared what you learned!
:rock:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cquinn1021 Cquinn1021 - as 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 said just above me (:)) - very cool that your humane society offered a class in this and even COOLER that you took it! It looks like you did a great job!

I may be repeating some things you learned in your class (or I might have missed someone above giving the few tips I wanted to give you from lots and lots of shelter-constructing experience). So sorry if there's repetition - just trying to cover a few extra bases!

We have several of these Rubbermaid shelters (our ferals now use shelters in our garage) so we've given most of ours of this type away - but we still keep a few out in the backyard for any "passerby" in the night to warm their little traveling cat selves, just in case. :) Not that our guys would let them - but it makes me feel good to know they're out there if they're needed. We do build the "double Rubbermaid" type - - which is just like yours, but has a second rubbermaid tote inside, with just enough room for either styrofoam sheets or straw between the two totes. And we drill a small hole in the bottom of the outside tote, just in case rain blows in, it'll drain out vs build up. But what you've done will keep them comfy too!!!!!!!

It's a good idea to get them a bit off the ground just a bit - -- we put ours on a layer of bricks. We then put a few bricks on top of the lids, because we have actually had them blow off the bricks - and even occasionally blow over when it was really, really windy. But a few bricks on top stopped that. And yes - the tops do collect water, as W Willowy noted - but we just watch for that, and dump the water off. (I always check inside first to make sure i'm not going to terrify a "resident"!)

Looks like you've got lots of nice straw - which is great. We change our straw out multiple times a year. If you've got the option to place your shelter near an outlet, the kitties definitely appreciate having one of those outdoor-rated heated pet mats. Definitely makes them at least a bit cozier!

We do one extra thing I've yet to see anyone else do - -- -we get a sheet of pre-cut plexiglass at a home store (something like 18 inches x 24 inches I think). We position the plexi in front of the opening, leaning it against the tote at the top (kind of like an "A-frame" so that there's enough space for the kitties to go under the plexi into the rubbermaid opening). We then drill 2 holes at the top of the plexi, and 2 holes (that match up in position with the ones in the plexi) in the front top edge of the tote. We use zip ties to fasten the plexi by threading them through the holes we drilled at the top of the plexi and on the edge of the tote. This keeps wind/rain/snow from blowing into the entry hole - - but since the plexi's clear, they can still see what's going on. Once we added the plexi --- the use of the shelters with those went WAY up!

Anyway - once again - - yeah for you for building one (and hopefully more!!!!) and kudos to to the Humane Society!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cquinn1021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cquinn1021 Cquinn1021 - as 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 said just above me (:)) - very cool that your humane society offered a class in this and even COOLER that you took it! It looks like you did a great job!

I may be repeating some things you learned in your class (or I might have missed someone above giving the few tips I wanted to give you from lots and lots of shelter-constructing experience). So sorry if there's repetition - just trying to cover a few extra bases!

We have several of these Rubbermaid shelters (our ferals now use shelters in our garage) so we've given most of ours of this type away - but we still keep a few out in the backyard for any "passerby" in the night to warm their little traveling cat selves, just in case. :) Not that our guys would let them - but it makes me feel good to know they're out there if they're needed. We do build the "double Rubbermaid" type - - which is just like yours, but has a second rubbermaid tote inside, with just enough room for either styrofoam sheets or straw between the two totes. And we drill a small hole in the bottom of the outside tote, just in case rain blows in, it'll drain out vs build up. But what you've done will keep them comfy too!!!!!!!

It's a good idea to get them a bit off the ground just a bit - -- we put ours on a layer of bricks. We then put a few bricks on top of the lids, because we have actually had them blow off the bricks - and even occasionally blow over when it was really, really windy. But a few bricks on top stopped that. And yes - the tops do collect water, as W Willowy noted - but we just watch for that, and dump the water off. (I always check inside first to make sure i'm not going to terrify a "resident"!)

Looks like you've got lots of nice straw - which is great. We change our straw out multiple times a year. If you've got the option to place your shelter near an outlet, the kitties definitely appreciate having one of those outdoor-rated heated pet mats. Definitely makes them at least a bit cozier!

We do one extra thing I've yet to see anyone else do - -- -we get a sheet of pre-cut plexiglass at a home store (something like 18 inches x 24 inches I think). We position the plexi in front of the opening, leaning it against the tote at the top (kind of like an "A-frame" so that there's enough space for the kitties to go under the plexi into the rubbermaid opening). We then drill 2 holes at the top of the plexi, and 2 holes (that match up in position with the ones in the plexi) in the front top edge of the tote. We use zip ties to fasten the plexi by threading them through the holes we drilled at the top of the plexi and on the edge of the tote. This keeps wind/rain/snow from blowing into the entry hole - - but since the plexi's clear, they can still see what's going on. Once we added the plexi --- the use of the shelters with those went WAY up!

Anyway - once again - - yeah for you for building one (and hopefully more!!!!) and kudos to to the Humane Society!!!!!!!
Joy!!!! You have some really good ideas. I'll see what I can do. I was going to let the h.s. know of some of these things so when they do this again, they can update or let ppl know.
They have me a huge bag of straw and cat food. I've got bricks, so they'll be easy. It stinks, the only outlet I have is right by my back door and I don't want that to scare them away. I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but money has been tight. This was perfect. They did it for free. A friend shared the event otherwise i nvr would have known.