Kitty Doesn't Like Us Cooking In The Kitchen

Moo2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our cats has recently taken against us being in the kitchen. He meows excessively if we spend longer than 10 mins in the kitchen. He doesn't mind so much if one of us sits with him. We can be doing jobs in any other room without giving him attention but he won't tolerate this in the kitchen. There is limited space in the kitchen and not room for him to be level with us.he is allowed to climb up the shelves. He is one of two indoor cats. I try to play with him before I have to do some cooking but it doesn't help much! I get the feeling he feels excluded.. ignoring him makes no difference to the meowing. has anyone had something similar or tried to tackle excessive meowing because kitty doesn't agree about something? He gets play and interaction from us and the other cat daily and can go out on a leash when he asks ( a different meow he gives )any ideas welvome!sometimes I go back and sit in the living room and he stops meowing then ignores me completely

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do have a couple of questions...do you feed your cat in the kitchen? If so, he may be associating you being in there with being fed. You could try feeding him elsewhere for a while and see if that helps. Along with this, how often is he fed? If it is twice a day, you might try giving the same amount of food daily, but broken into three feedings, so that you feed him, then cook, keeping him occupied, if nothing else!

This is a bit of a new one for me. But I'm sure SOMEONE here has had something similar, and will be along with more ideas!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My guess would have been the same as Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 as far as the cat associating food with you being in the kitchen - either his or yours (if you feed him any human food, that is). Especially, since you indicated that he doesn't do this when you are in any other room.

It would seem to mean that once you leave the kitchen- whether or not he got anything to eat - he knows that the 'prospect of food' is over at that moment.

And - just guessing - when someone is with him and the other person is in the kitchen, he is probably preoccupied with the one who stayed with him enough to semi-ignore what's going on in the kitchen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moo2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much for your ideas! He doesn't eat in the kitchen but he knows that is where his food comes from....he has been on a diet recently.. he usually rubs himself against things when he knows it's time to eat so I assumed it wasn't that...but maybe it's because he wants something and isn't doing the usual rubbing as he knows it isn't the usual feed time....we have an ongoing issue where he eats more than the other cat if we leave food out so have gone back to restricted access . ..this may have stressed him ....it's hard coz he is a bit tubby but he is also broader and bigger than the other cat.. he is on 40g a day of good quality dry food but maybe he needs 50g.... The other cat is very fussy and gets by with less than 40g...he weighs about 5.5 kg

Moo2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
....and in answer to the other question,food is split in three servings...one being often just before the kitchen time...but if he feels he isn't getting enough...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for more information! Feeby (14+) rubs against a corner near where her food is being prepared when she knows she is getting a meal; but, she will sit in a very specific location right outside the kitchen when she thinks she should get food but it is not meal time. So, her behavior is different as well on that issue.

Will he eat canned food at all? The reason I ask is because I found that when I started feeding Feeby some canned food for her dinner instead of dry, she tended to be more satisfied longer into the evening. The canned seemed to fill her up more and yet is actually less calories.

Moo2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!yes we could try this. His leash is also in the kitchen and is the exit for his walk .He may be saying two potential good things happen in this area and why are you there if they aren't happening :) will try feeding/walking prior to long time in the kitchen. If not possible I guess with cats there aren't really any deterrents ? Ignoring dsnt help!

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking maybe he's like one of my guys & just wants to be where you are. Mine doesn't like closed doors. Gets quite vocal & scatches at door. We can put him in his cat carrier (we leave these out with fluffy towels in them). He gets a treat & usually settles in for a short nap as we leave him in there for a few minutes to an hour depending situation (crate trained kitties lol). We use his carrier to keep him out of all sorts of trouble... Running outside, after flea meds (licks other kitty's spot), while cleaning. You get the idea. Not for punishment as treats are involved & they really don't mind. One kitty was just napping there the other night.