Kitty Cams! :3

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had been asked about my kitty cam setup, and figured I'd just make a post and show er'body whats used.

Currently I have a 720p webcam (Logitech Orb) connected to my server in the greatroom, and four additional IP cams (Foscam FI8918W) elsewhere in the house.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WesleyBu...10/_UdEo2s4pI0

All the cameras look like little black orbs, and can rotate 120o up and down, and 300o (almost full circle) left and right to look around wherever you like. The webcam needs natural light, and the IP cams have automatic night-vision (very clear, but black and white as seen below).

The IP cams have adjustable sensitivity motion sensors and can be set to trigger an alarm, record, and it sends me an email alert I get on my phone w/ still shots. They have two way audio, so you can hear your cats (and kitty-sitter... or intruder) and talk to them as well as each camera has a decent loudness speaker.

You can just click in one of the squares and control the camera, and double-click it to maximize, and the interface looks like this:

I leave it maxized like above on my personal laptop while I'm at work to watch my kitties and make sure they are safe.
As we speak, Wesley and Buttercup are trying desperately to move the tiny neck cushion I wedged there to block their way from wiggling under my bed mattress!!! Not gunna happen!!!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's cool! I'd love to see what these 2 do while we aren't here! Do you only have it on while at work? And who can see it? I'd be the one caught streaking or picking a wedgie or something!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I'm home, the cams are aimed out of the windows. The bedroom one happens to be right at the window next to the hanging bird feeder, so can record any cool birds close up (about 2feet away) when desired.

For connection to it, you'd have to know the address, the port, the password, and its all well encrypted and IP logged. Pretty secure IMO. Heard people using these as high-tech baby monitors since it has night-vision and good audio capabilities.

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's awesome

One of my friends is a parrot breeder and she has camera set up in her nesting boxs and nurseries, she has a screen in her kitchen where she can see everything that's going on, I love going there and watching everybody, technology is just great

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very, very cool set-up
. I have two cameras as well. It really started when I needed to find out a few years back who was peeing along a wall in the basement. It worked! And then I was able to get the right cat to the vet for treatment for a UTI and all was well after that. Then I just kept the camera hooked up and it does rotate as well. I have one in the kitchen too that we set-up when we had a new pet sitter for the cats. Although, it ruined my vacation as I was constantly watching the cats and waiting for the sitter to show up

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

I have two cameras as well. It really started when I needed to find out a few years back who was peeing along a wall in the basement. It worked!
That's smart detective work!

My coworker and I are cracking up here. Buttercup often messes up the blinds in the great-room by squeezing behind them to see the birds. She knows not to do it, and doesn't when I'm around.

Just caught her doing it though, so used the two-way audio function on the camera to say "BUTTERCUP, NO." and she looked up at the camera all busted and scampered off trilling!