Kitty Calories

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The switch to raw has made me aware that my very active cats do not eat the number of calories they are supposed. Three are ideal weight, and one is a bit chubby. (One of the biggest reasons we are on the diet is because we want Mr. Chubs (Olive) to loose some weight).

Before the switch, they ate a total of 1.5-2.5 cans of wet food a day between them. Each can was roughly 130 calories. So for the four cats eating three meals a day, that is somewhere between 195 & 325 calories total. To be honest, they wouldn't even finish all of that and would often leave a lot on the plate.

Anyway, I am still looking up recipes and trying to figure out how much food to give them, and I keep coming across formulas like: ideal body weight in lb * 15 calories=calories/day.

So for my four two-year-old cats who weight, 5lb, 5lb, 15lb (but ideal is probably 12lb), and 15lb, that is 555 calories--almost twice as much as they will eat!!!!

I know they aren't starving, but the problem is as I switch them to raw, I am freaking out because no one is eating very much of the meat. I can't tell if it is because my two 250 cal meals are just way too much food for them or if it is that they don't like it.

The most food I have ever seen them eat since they were kittens is like a tablespoon a piece. They are all biological brothers--maybe there is something in the genes? They look healthy, play like healthy cats, and the vet has never said anything.

Has any one else realized that their cats eat a lot less than they are supposed to? I know we don't have vermin and they are indoor cats, so they aren't hunting on the sly. What on earth is going on?

Oh one more thing, I (and the biggest cat) supervise meal time so that no one eats someone else's portion. They have their own bowls and they stay at them. I feed them 3/4 a can divided into four portions for a meal. On the rare occasion that they finish that, I give them another 1/2 can or so (which they have never ever finished). If they don't finish even the 3/4, I will sometimes put it in the fridge and bring it out a bit later so they can finish it when they are more hungry. Their meals are at 5 am (when they insist on waking me up) and sometime in the evening when they start crying in the kitchen.

Two of the cats, one of the 5 lb kitties and the ideal weight 15 lb kitty are more likely to finish their portion even if the other two kitties don't eat theirs. Sometimes these two kitties will be able to finish another 1/4 tablespoon or so from the can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, with the raw, they can eat about the same volume of meat chunks as they can of canned--one and a half tablespoon or so.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With feeding raw you want to feed each cat 2-4% of their ideal body wieght.

With kittens feed 2-4% of their guesstimated wieght as adult cats.

Yes, you feed a LOT less raw than canned. I'd be going through 7.5 lbs of wet food a day vs. 3 lbs of raw a day (for 18 cats).

With raw you don't go by calories, just by percentage.

So a 10 lb cat would be getting between 3.2 - 6.4 ounces a day.

Actaully most of mine (who are about 12 lb cats) each get 2.8 ounces of raw a day to maintain their wieght! Rajah, a 13 lb Bengal mix, gets about 6 ounces total a day; nearly twice the amount of everyone else. It just depends on the cat

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use calories when estimating how much to feed my cats. I use their weight and work off a percentage of that (usually 3%, but that can go up to 4% for very active cats or down to 2% for less active cats).

Nor have I ever read anything credible that advised using calories to determine food portion sizes for cats.

I think it's a given that most cats will reduce their volume of daily food intake when switched to raw, simply because their bodies are now being fed what they are so beautifully designed to process and they no longer need to eat and eat in search of the protein and related nutrients they need to thrive. That's the whole point, really, to feeding a natural diet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have very active cats who when on raw only usually eat 4.5% body weight... Raw feed eat roughly 1/3 what a wet only would eat ... ie 10 lb cat ate 10 oz a day may only eat 3oz of raw per day ...

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

It's nice to know that my cats aren't going to keel over and die if I can't force a certain number of calories down their throats at each feeding.

They all seem to like raw food a lot more. They just aren't so sure that they should have to chew their meat instead of slurping it like canned, but they are getting there.

alias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they will learn....and that is one of the great benefits of a raw diet.....chewing, it acts as nature's toothbrush!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alias

Yes they will learn....and that is one of the great benefits of a raw diet.....chewing, it acts as nature's toothbrush!!
The act of chewing itself is not a cleaning action ... as cat s truly do not chew...

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If cats don't chew then what do you call this:

(Mo eating beef steak)

(Amiga eating a chicken drumstick)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

If cats don't chew then what do you call this:

(Mo eating beef steak)

(Amiga eating a chicken drumstick)
http://zooclub.ru/eng/cats/uhod/10.shtml

that is what they were doing... rip and tear and swallow... one of the main reasons so many dry eaters throw up they swallow food whole ...

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, but whatever you want to call it it DOES clean their teeth. Really well actually

I have some 'before' pictures of Rajah's teeth - and need to get some pictures after he has been on raw for two months. The thing is that anyone touching his mouth or restraining him freaks him out so it is very hard to actually GET pictures of his teeth. It really stresses him out! I have looked at them a few times since starting him on raw and his back teeth are starting to look white - vs 15 years of plaque buildup.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

Yes, but whatever you want to call it it DOES clean their teeth. Really well actually

I have some 'before' pictures of Rajah's teeth - and need to get some pictures after he has been on raw for two months. The thing is that anyone touching his mouth or restraining him freaks him out so it is very hard to actually GET pictures of his teeth. It really stresses him out! I have looked at them a few times since starting him on raw and his back teeth are starting to look white - vs 15 years of plaque buildup.
yes rip and tear is a great dental plan.. and at this for this human hilarius
to watch...send s you some mesh steel gloves for the pics

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My biggest cat had horrible breath. After a week on raw, his mouth is already kissably fresh (not that there are very many people lined up to kiss him-especially after he just ate a pile of raw meat.

I opened a can of (cheap--that's all the grocery stores have here) cat food that we had left over because I had forgotten to put a bag of raw in the fridge to thaw. Eww! The salty brine smell from the food almost made me throw up and two of my cats who used to love it, looked unimpressed with dinner.

Gross! Raw might have more bacteria, but it sure does smell better.