Kitty Bloom supplement Good for Raw Food Diet??

Rooker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hellow! :caticon:
I recently got into feeding my kitten raw food because I want all the best for him and know the commercial kibble is just horrific when it comes to a cat's well-being.
Overall I find it fun to make raw food for my cat every couple of weeks, but it is kind of a hassle to measure out all the vitamins and supplements you have to add to it so I was researching some pre-mixed alternatives and found a product called "Kitty Bloom".

There is not a lot of information online to be found about this product. It has positive reviews and people from other parts of the world seem to be using it a lot?
I looked into the ingredients of the Kitty Bloom and I have to say it has all the vitamins and supplements a homemade raw food recipe calls for. The only ingredient in Kitty Bloom I am not confident about is the Rice Flour.
But then a lot of other pre-mixed supplements available in the U.S. seem to have added ash and carbohydrates, which I don't like either.

Does anybody have any experience with this product? Would you suggest to use it for homemade raw cat food? Why or why not??

Thanks so much for any advice!
:coolcat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although the added rice flour may not be ideal, rice is VERY gentle on tummies, which is why so many "sensitive stomach" pet foods are blended with rice. So long as it isn't a MAIN ingredient, I'd think it would be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rooker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Although the added rice flour may not be ideal, rice is VERY gentle on tummies, which is why so many "sensitive stomach" pet foods are blended with rice. So long as it isn't a MAIN ingredient, I'd think it would be fine.
It makes me wonder how much of the rice flour is in it and why. The packaging doesn't say how much they added and it is listed as the second ingredient right after dried cheddar cheese.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t heard of it, but if the first two ingredients are cheddar cheese and rice flour, then I wouldn’t use it. Most raw feeders do it to ensure the species appropriate diet for their pets and those two ingredients are by no means necessary, so it makes me wonder why did they add these? I’d personally choose something with better ingredients.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree...the higher up the list, the more there is of it. Does it give information on the per centages of daily requirements that the rest of it (vitamines, minerals, etc) fulfills? That would help a bit. SOMETIMES the raw ingredient list doesn't tell you everything, you need those percentages.

CRUD AND SPIT! I was trying to get an answer for you. I found this site (they sell it), but...although they give an ingredient list, the list is in grams, and the dosage is in tsp, so you'd have to convert, and they do NOT give a % of Daily Requirements, so you'd have to look that up separately. I can tell you right now, it probably will NOT hurt, and the cheese makes it palatable, but I'm leary about a product that doesn't TELL you if you're getting 100% of what you need! That, admittedly, is fairly common.

Opentip.com: Bloom Products Kitty Bloom VM 900+3

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Given that this is not a premix created for the purpose of balancing a raw diet meal, I would want to do some calculations to ensure that the nutrient amounts are adequate enough and that the phosphorous to calcium ratio would be appropriate when added to homemade food. I would not personally use this for making my own raw food as the ingredients are sub-par, I have no idea where they are sourced from, and as I said, it wasn’t created for adding nutrients to homemade food so it’s a crap shoot as to whether it will be nutritionally complete.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Given that this is not a premix created for the purpose of balancing a raw diet meal,
:yeah:

Kitty Bloom is not a pre-mix meant for raw meat. It is just a vitamin / mineral supplement to add to regular commercial pet food, which for the most part are complete balanced diets so extra supplementation is not necessary but that's another topic.

Some people make up a big batch of a vitamin / mineral supplement and just measure out what they need for their raw recipe. Such a batch would keep quite awhile. That's a lot easier than to measure everything at the time you are making up a batch of food.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg...cheddar cheese?!?! Please throw it out. Get one of the ones lts3 mentioned.

Rooker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies!
Here's the video where I found Kitty Bloom: I also thought it was good that he was adding a lot of pumpkin to the whole raw diet equation because cats can get constipated pretty badly if they eat raw.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a lot of raw recipes online, YouTube, etc. Not all of the are proper complete diets for cats no matter how well meaning the person in the video may be. A lot of recipes are just made up based on what the person thinks cat should eat or they use an established recipe and modify it.

Besides the pre-mixes already mentioned in this thread, two good reputable species appropriate recipies can be found at Catinfo.org and Catnutrition.org

Rooker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of raw recipes online, YouTube, etc. Not all of the are proper complete diets for cats no matter how well meaning the person in the video may be. A lot of recipes are just made up based on what the person thinks cat should eat or they use an established recipe and modify it.

Besides the pre-mixes already mentioned in this thread, two good reputable species appropriate recipies can be found at Catinfo.org and Catnutrition.org
Thank you. Are there any good homemade raw food recipes you would recommend to me? (it doesn't matter if they use pre-mixes or separately measured vitamins).
I have watched a lot of videos on this topic and as you said, everyone does it differently, some people add just some vitamins and others add a whole ton of them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These two are popular:

There are more listed in this TCS sticky:

The pre-mixes have their own recipes which you can find on the product web site. Typically you add X amount of pre-mix to X amount of boneless meat, add X amount of water, stir, and portion out. Some may require the addition of other things like liver or eggs so be sure to read the recipe all the way through.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies!
Here's the video where I found Kitty Bloom: I also thought it was good that he was adding a lot of pumpkin to the whole raw diet equation because cats can get constipated pretty badly if they eat raw.
I didn't watch through the whole thing, but it doesn't seem like this guy is following or providing a reputable recipe. He is usinng meat, bones, and organs, doesn't specify how much, and is also adding a supplement powder and excessive amounts of pumpkin (cats really don't need that much fiber). Always follow a reputable recipe that gives exact amounts. Another good one is on feline-nutrition.org.

Rooker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These two are popular:

There are more listed in this TCS sticky:

The pre-mixes have their own recipes which you can find on the product web site. Typically you add X amount of pre-mix to X amount of boneless meat, add X amount of water, stir, and portion out. Some may require the addition of other things like liver or eggs so be sure to read the recipe all the way through.
It makes me wonder if the Kitty Bloom is really as bad, because for example, CatInfo.org promotes using Temptation Treats and other products from Purina (which is a company I don't want to support, ever) to lure the cat over to get them to eat raw. I think every cat needs a variety, so I wouldn't just feed the same recipe to my cat over and over, but seeing that people are not afraid of carbs in smaller quantities, I might just try it out and see what my cat likes. I think one of the most important things is that the cat doesn't eat kibble and gets proper moisture from the food they eat. But if you switch it out and try out different things, it's probably not going to hurt them.

Rooker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't watch through the whole thing, but it doesn't seem like this guy is following or providing a reputable recipe. He is usinng meat, bones, and organs, doesn't specify how much, and is also adding a supplement powder and excessive amounts of pumpkin (cats really don't need that much fiber). Always follow a reputable recipe that gives exact amounts. Another good one is on feline-nutrition.org.
Yeah, I wish the person would provide a recipe. But honestly it is one of the very few people I have seen using pumpkin with raw recipe so that's why it caught my attention.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I wish the person would provide a recipe. But honestly it is one of the very few people I have seen using pumpkin with raw recipe so that's why it caught my attention.
Lots of people add pumpkin to their homemade food. That's nothing new. Most recipes don't have it included in their main ingredients because it's not a necessity and most cats don't need it.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
It makes me wonder if the Kitty Bloom is really as bad, because for example, CatInfo.org promotes using Temptation Treats and other products from Purina (which is a company I don't want to support, ever) to lure the cat over to get them to eat raw. I think every cat needs a variety, so I wouldn't just feed the same recipe to my cat over and over, but seeing that people are not afraid of carbs in smaller quantities, I might just try it out and see what my cat likes. I think one of the most important things is that the cat doesn't eat kibble and gets proper moisture from the food they eat. But if you switch it out and try out different things, it's probably not going to hurt them.
Dr. P. on catinfo is suggesting using treats to get cats to stop eating kibble. She is weighing the pros and cons of using a crappy treat to get a cat to switch over to a healthier diet vs keeping them on unhealthy kibble. She's not recommending the long-term feeding of temptations. That's quite different from using a supplement mix to make homemade food - especially when that supplement mix wasn't created for that purpose and you only see one random dude on youtube using it without any information about why he uses it or how much he uses.

It can hurt them if you are feeding a nutritionally inadequate diet. This is one of the reasons why some vets are against homemade food because lots of people just feed random things without doing proper research and end up with malnourished cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CatInfo.org promotes using Temptation Treats and other products from Purina (which is a company I don't want to support, ever) to lure the cat over to get them to eat raw.
Those are just Dr. Lisa's suggestions. You can certainly use other things to entice your cat to eat raw such as crushed up freeze dried meat treats or a little tuna juice or even crushed up dry food :agree: You're not using much (hopefully) and it's only temporary until the cat is eating raw without a hunger strike.