Kitty Belly Flops...what Does It Mean?

JazzysMom

Meh
Young Cat
Purraise
We recently adopted a wonderful Balinese kitty, He is 6 years old. Very affectionate boy, he often belly flops suddenly and looks at us and sort of chirrups. He does like chest rubs (no belly please)...but was wondering, is there any meaning that sudden flops have? Like the questionmark greetings tail?...Inquiring minds...

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
cats normally show their bellies as a sign of trust. maybe he also wants to play as well. hence he loves you

sorry for the double post

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is just a difference amongst cats. Some will do a graceful lie down and roll over and others, yours and mine included, just do a flop and thud. In either case, it means they are happy and relaxed at that moment.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine does that when she wants attention that I am not giving her, she wants her belly rubbed. She used to do it on command but she doesn't hear well anymore.

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Marx does it in the morning when I come into the living room (since he doesn't sleep in our bedroom) and when I come from work - so I guess it's something like "I missed you" or just "pet me!" :D

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cats that just roll over on their backs and look at you, like " Pay attention. Aren't I cute!"! And then I have Dutch. He literally FLOPS on his side like he suddenly loses all muscle control. You can almost hear it. The problem is, it is usually on top of someone else who is laying there, he wants the attention they are getting and is trying to muscle his way in. It works, they always hiss, swat and leave. I noticed he always keeps his back to them so he doesn't get swatted in the face. I will often hear a thud, look around and there he is, all four paws straight up, big belly begging to get petted. He is purring and staring straight at you. It is a sign of trust to expose their belly, and a sign that they know they look cute and they want attention.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they flop like that so you will be sure to notice them! It works! :clap:

I had a cat that would sneak past me into the kitchen, run to his favorite spot, flop over and chirp! He definitely wanted belly rubs. And he was trying to rub it in that he had outsmarted me - again! I could not resist that belly. :redheartpump: