kitty bellies!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All three of my boys show their tummies. Forest loves to have his belly rubbed. He'll frequently flop down in front of one of us and demand a rubbing. Tailer sometimes likes it, sometimes not. Harvey won't stand for it.

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good question! This charming posture is used to display friendship, love and trust, but don't touch....most kitties do not like their belly rubbed. Unlike dogs this is a very sensitive area, rubbing their belly can easily lead to overstimulation and result in the claws and teeth coming out.
On another note, when cats get to playing too rough, to show they are getting serious and to warn the other; a cat will roll over on its back to expose and show its wonderful array of weapons, the claws and teeth and express the fact they are ready to be used. So this posture can be used to express a serious warning or to express the trust they feel toward a particular person or animal. I hope this answers your question.

Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Hello! I have a very simple question........why do cats roll over and show you their bellies? Is it just a comfortable way for them to lay, or is a sign of something else?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatPsych

Good question! This charming posture is used to display friendship, love and trust, but don't touch....most kitties do not like their belly rubbed. Unlike dogs this is a very sensitive area, rubbing their belly can easily lead to overstimulation and result in the claws and teeth coming out.
On another note, when cats get to playing too rough, to show they are getting serious and to warn the other; a cat will roll over on its back to expose and show its wonderful array of weapons, the claws and teeth and express the fact they are ready to be used. So this posture can be used to express a serious warning or to express the trust they feel toward a particular person or animal. I hope this answers your question.
wow thats really fascinating
especially the bit about a cat showing another cat its underside as a sign of seriousness. When Teddy & Miss Moofi fight more often than not she'll end up like this and I assumed it was a position of submission. Hopefully he'll get the message PDQ

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems as though it could also just be a comfortable way to sleep. Swanie starts out in a curl, but ends up sprawled on his back most of the time. Cindy will do it too. Both enjoy having their tummies rubbed.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

It seems as though it could also just be a comfortable way to sleep. Swanie starts out in a curl, but ends up sprawled on his back most of the time. Cindy will do it too. Both enjoy having their tummies rubbed.
Chip usually sleeps on his back, all sprawled out... but DON'T touch the tummy!
it's sooooo tempting, but if you're not quick, he'll nip you!

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes, kitties definitely love to sleep in this position too. Your kitties must also trust you a whole lot to let you rub their bellies, many cats won't permit this, I'd take it as a huge compliment from your kitties since they let you.

Kerry

Originally Posted by Misty8723