Kitty Allergic to Fleas,Can Go Out in Backyard?

taraconnor777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
_iconfurrydanceplz__by_Sleath.gif
HI,My inside kitty named Bella,a nine yr.old Burmese cat,is diagnosed as "allergic to fleas."We took her to the vet,we put a three month good quality anti flea medicine on her.She got a lot better.However she is once again scratching her ear or neck a lot.I'm considering taking her back to a Cat Care vet place because of this recent over scratching again.IS IT SAFE. to let her go outside in this hot weather?are the fleas just getting back again? II have allergies in this weather,on my neck,itching.I wish.(I'm masked up for Corona,) I HAD KEPT A MASK ON ME,EVERY SPRING,summer,so I can't breathe all allergies and pollen!I'M VERY ALLERGIC.SO FULL OF ALLERGIES.

I just let Bella out,at 6 pm when its cool,hoping the fleas would cool down.SHOULD I NEVER LET my little "tender-footed little house cat"outside at all?She was in a little studio,never went out her first 3 yrs of life,and her old owner could not care for her.I was lucky to take her,I have a little house and a little weedy back yard,and Bella LOVES IT IN Spring!I don't let her go far.(Its noisy in front of house)She goes out,eats some grass,and then comes in.(we have major horrible blackberries around us,other wise,there are horrible growths, we're cutting them back,they're bad)
She only got "flea allergies"this year,cause I never gave her flea meds.SHE NEVER GOT FLEAS BEFORE THIS!SO,I NEVER got her flea meds!I suspect the flea allergy is MY FAULT.ORR,the Willamette Valley here is SO ALLergic to humans now!ANY one says it's ALLERGIC VALLEY .I know,every three months,now,i give Bella her anti-flea MEds.But what about letting her out in summer?Even a little in back yard?Please let this senior know,I just want to do what's best for her..Thank you.

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fleas are fleas they suck. They're always out. Especially when its hot till like the fall. The next month or so are especially flea-is.

Can you buy a catio? Then she can stay outside in a certain area and not go into random flea areas. The weedy back yard is probably the issue.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Some flea treatments require the fleas to bite a cat in order to ingest the treatment and die. If your flea treatment is like this, and Bella is allergic to fleas, then she will react to the bites regardless. What does your vet say about letting her outside, given her allergy?

If you would choose to provide a confined area outdoors, such as the catio suggested above, you will still need to treat the entire surrounding area of your yard to help reduce the number the fleas in the general area. You can also buy little grass plots for her to chew on if that is one of the things she enjoys about going outside.