kitties very interested in dogs raw food

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitties are about 5-6 months old, so far I've been feeding them grain free canned with dry free fed for between meals. They have both started to show a lot of interest in our dogs during meal time. The German Shepherd puppy eats inside in her crate with the door closed and she just pushes the door open when she is finished eating.

Today the kitties were watching very intently while she chomped her chicken pieces. Jackson slowly approached the crate watching her and then laid down next to the door while she ate.

As soon as she finished and left he went inside and sniffed around and licked the crate floor. Cooper my other kitty also came over to investigate.

I want to get them switched over to raw also once we get moved in a few weeks. I need to figure out where to feed them though as I don't want them carrying their raw food off to corners of the house.

ftmillmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 1 dog I have to put a towel down on my stairs landing because that is where she insist on eating and I gave up keeping her in the kitchen. The other dog stays on his mat in the kitchen. I started off feeding the cat where he always eats and just put his meals in the food bowl. He is a creatur of habit and just continues to eat there. I actually tried to feed him in the laundry room because I have a counter surfer dog and while my schedule was messed up the dog stayed up at night with me. Next thing I knew the cat was dragging a 1/4 hen across the kitchen and jumped on the counter with it to put it at his eating spot. (Yes I feed him on the counter). He was good about it, put it on his mat and it never touched anything but the cat door on the way. If they are used to eating in the same place, I doubt they'll change when fed raw.

BTW--that is why I started feeding raw to the cat too. I would portion out the dogs food and he would start going at it on the kitchen counter. I just started giving it to him. He's even got down and started eating the dogs food with her when he's ornery. I have a picture of the cat eating the dogs big huge meal on the floor with her while the dog eats the cats little tiny portion. This was before I actually started feeding him raw. I got his point.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Melesine

I want to get them switched over to raw also once we get moved in a few weeks. I need to figure out where to feed them though as I don't want them carrying their raw food off to corners of the house.
Two of my cats eat on a long narrow table that's used only for them. They have been doing this since they were kittens; they seldom take the food of the plate and never take it off the table. All of the remaining cats are crated for meals (three of those crates are under that table
).

Originally Posted by FtMillmom

I have a picture of the cat eating the dogs big huge meal on the floor with her while the dog eats the cats little tiny portion. ....
Link? Please?

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding the kitties in the master bathroom first on the floor and then later on the counter, that room is gated when the door is open so they have a place to get away from the dogs if they want.

Since I'm moving though, we will be establishing a new routine. I guess I could get a mat put down and hope they keep the meat on that.

begemot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed in the bathtub (mostly wet, but one cat makes a huge mess because he prefers to eat off his paw
) and it's super easy to clean. You can see the surface really well to make sure you get every bit of it. And every time you shower it cleans it again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, tonight at dinner time Jackson was actually sticking his paws through the crate bars and pacing he wanted puppys food so much. So I took pity on them and sliced off 2 small pieces of raw chicken, put it on a plate and fed them in their usual spot on the counter.

Cooper did great, used his back teeth to chew off pieces to swallow just like puppy dies LOL. Jackson actually growled at Coopie for the first time over food. He took his piece and wasn't sure what to do so he dropped it in the dry food dish and got kibble stuck all over it. I had to clean it off and then he did better. Of course they switched pieces half way through.

silly kitties. Oh well the dogs all had a learning curve too.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Melesine

Well, tonight at dinner time Jackson was actually sticking his paws through the crate bars and pacing he wanted puppys food so much. So I took pity on them and sliced off 2 small pieces of raw chicken, put it on a plate and fed them in their usual spot on the counter.

Cooper did great, used his back teeth to chew off pieces to swallow just like puppy dies LOL. Jackson actually growled at Coopie for the first time over food. He took his piece and wasn't sure what to do so he dropped it in the dry food dish and got kibble stuck all over it. I had to clean it off and then he did better. Of course they switched pieces half way through.

silly kitties. Oh well the dogs all had a learning curve too.
Oh, yeah, my kitties growled at each other when I first transitioned them to raw food, too. Funny to watch them, isn't it?

AC

ftmillmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pfth, my kitty growls at ME still. Bugger nose still doesn't appreciate me taking him in, vetting him, feeding him, giving him a clean litter box and trying to attempt to love on him. LOL.

As requested, I'm seeing if IMG code works on the forum. This is my Bubba and Jubilee, the best friends. I have a whole series of photos during this meal time. The cat didn't even eat raw at the time so after he started eating Jubilees food I threw down a drumstick for him to munch on. Instead Jubes decided to go for the drumstick and let the cat have her hen. I realized there was no way Bubba could eat the drumstick realistically so I had to do some rearranging and tore the wing off Jubes hen for the cat to start off on and he ate the whole thing his first raw meal.

I think being feral and his first "friends" being the dogs he thinks he is dog. He's always been right up there with them, what they eat he eats, no matter the size (until he decides to be a cat and become finicky).

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too cute, FtMillMom! Love watching and listening to the kitties chow down at mealtime.

AC