Kitties Refusing Wet Food

scoochmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I've posted before about my two 12-year-olds, Mooshie and Scoochie. This problem has been going on for over a year now, and I know they aren't sick because they aren't throwing up or anything and they are behaving like normal kitties. The problem is they are refusing most of the wet food I am giving them. The story is they were raised on Fancy Feast - never had a problem with it and when they heard the snap of the can lid, they would both come running. Then suddenly, a year or so ago, they started not liking it. I did a little research on the site and it seems others have had problems with FF as well, something about them changing their formula. So I went out and bought all the expensive brands at PetSmart - Wellness, Blue Buffalo, you name it. With every single brand, they would sniff it and walk away. To this day, they will not touch anything labeled "grain free". I don't know why. This leaves me with no other choice than the junk brands, namely Friskies. I hate to give it to them and they really don't like it, but it's the only brand they'll take even two bites of, so I figure two bites is better than none. Mostly, they are eating dry food - all Purina brands because it's what I can afford. The thing is, they WANT meat. They are always coming up to me and meowing and I know that they want something of substance in their bellies. But what can I do, they won't eat barely anything I put in front of them! I even tried raw bits of stew beef and raw chicken, and they won't go near it, as well as if it's cooked. So, I am out of ideas, brands, and spending a lot of money on canned food that goes right into the trash can. I'm really at a loss over what to do. Should I give up on canned food altogether and just buy them a premium dry food? I hate to have them live on dry, but it seems like the only alternative at this point. I fed them Blue Wilderness dry once and my Scooch ended up in the ER with bad constipation, so I don't know which premium drys are the best. The best thing I can say about the Purina I'm using is I'm seeing lots of poops in the basket every day, and they're drinking lots of water. I can't figure these kitties out - are they spoiled rotten, or are they in cahoots trying to drive me nuts? I need advice/suggestions, please!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont have a problem with feeding wet, and dry, i use both. and there is a lot worse than feeding Friskies, i would not classify it as Junk, many cats do very well on it. And if its the only wet they will eat, well then thats what i would feed them. :)

There are a lot of dry foods out there, but it can get expensive changing around to find a "better one" If they like the dry they eat now i would continue with it, and experiment with finding a wet they like. There are some in the purina brand that are better than others, check the ingredient list, and feed the better ones. I will post a link to the cat food data base i use it a lot.

I would continue to feed wet, Friskies, maybe try a can of fancy feast, different flavors and textures now and again. My guys often go off their favorites for a while, then like them again :dunno:

Have you tried Sheba, i know a lot of people say their cats like it, comes in those trays, which i frankly like, because you can feed small amounts more often, i wish more companies had them. I have foods i know my guys will normally eat, but then occasionally i go to the stores and just pick up a can of this and that to see if they will like some new things? Yes i throw away a lot of food, but sometimes i get lucky too :) If you have a tractor supply nearby a lot of people like their foods too. They have a new Kitchen selects, that is similar to fancy feast classics, but maybe different enough that your guys would like it? Good price for the kitchen selects too.

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried toppers? Mine go crazy over pure bites. Another option is to crush some of their kibble and sprinkle over the wet food to entice them to eat it. Other topper options are tuna water, bonito flakes, fortiflora,Parmesan cheese.
Have you tried nutro chunky chicken? A lot of cats love that one. When all else fails if Friskies is all they will eat then let them eat it. It’s better than all dry imho. Feeding cats can be hard sometimes. :angrywoman:

Catowneragain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to use toppers. Even though I buy grain free high end canned food, they started being very fussy about almost all of it! So I also grind up pure freeze dried chicken and since that gets to be more money, I now buy a decent dry food, grind it up and sprinkle on the top. They eat everything with the toppers.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to use toppers. Even though I buy grain free high end canned food, they started being very fussy about almost all of it! So I also grind up pure freeze dried chicken and since that gets to be more money, I now buy a decent dry food, grind it up and sprinkle on the top. They eat everything with the toppers.
I use pure bites too if I want them to eat something new or something they don’t really want to eat. I buy the pure bites freeze dried chicken DOG treats. They are the exact same thing and a lot cheaper. I recently got a 6 oz bag on chewy for like $6. It last at least a month for two piggie cats.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Purina Muse, or Purina One True Instinct?
Mine recently started liking the purina one TRUE NATURE. I think they are very much like fancy feast minus the artificial colors and nitrites ( which I refuse to feed to my cats). I feed the chicken and liver and beef and giblets ( best ingredients in my opinion) and they took to them the first time I fed it without problems.

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are super picky and like only some flavors of Fancy Feast.

They do also like Fresh Pet cups from the pet fridges at a lot of grocery stores, especially the Chicken and Pumpkin ones. Not sure if you've ever tried those. They even have lids so it's easy to put remaining food away if they dont eat an entire cup.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I so wish any store in our area had a pet fridge that had anything for cats. Im so jealous of people that do :D.........lol green with envy.

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never heard of a pet fridge. What stores have those?
Some Wal Marts have them, not all. Our local Target has one too. Select Petco and Petsmarts do also but I don't think it's the majority of them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen one in my Walmart neighborhood grocery it's a little short one for dogs but they may be adding one for cats in their big renovation :crossfingers: and the Petco a few miles away has a couple big fridges, so does The Pet Club, oh hugospal beat me lol

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I so wish any store in our area had a pet fridge that had anything for cats. Im so jealous of people that do :D.........lol green with envy.
I was so excited to try the refrigerated food on my kitty, but she smelled it and refused to touch it so, for me and her, it was just a waste of money. :(

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I was so excited to try the refrigerated food on my kitty, but she smelled it and refused to touch it so, for me and her, it was just a waste of money.
A waste of money is buying food that would be bad for your cat if she ate it.

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
A waste of money is buying food that would be bad for your cat if she ate it.
True in a way...but it hurts to toss wet cat food that looks good or perfectly fine or is expensive. It all adds up. I don't feed ferals so the unwanted wet food goes in the trash.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a TNR group near you, or a animal/cat rescue organization? I've donated quite a lot of food, until I improved things just lately and figured out his palate and what he really wants on his menu :)

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have a TNR group near you, or a animal/cat rescue organization? I've donated quite a lot of food, until I improved things just lately and figured out his palate and what he really wants on his menu :)
I've been meaning to call the local Humane Society because I know of a location with a group of ferals I hope they'll feed and TNR. I can't do anything financially at this time. The previous cans of wet food brands and flavors I tried that were uneaten, I had to throw away since the cans were already opened.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was so excited to try the refrigerated food on my kitty, but she smelled it and refused to touch it so, for me and her, it was just a waste of money. :(
I feel your pain. I toss, and donate quite a bit of cat food as well :oops: