Kitties Don't Like The Good Stuff

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Link and Navi are about 10 months old. When I got them at about 6 months old they were eating science diet kibble. I've got them on high-quality wet canned, morning and evening, but I'm also still giving them some kibble - I'd say their diet is 2/3 wet and 1/3 dry but transitioning them to all wet (and eventually some raw too).

Anyway, they aren't really taking to the better quality, low carb, minimal ingredient, mostly meat dry. I've been mixing but they still manage to eat around the better stuff. They are eating it a little but definitely still don't prefer it. Any tips to help the transition? I really don't want to buy another bag of the lower quality kibble.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a fish flavour? Most cats like them.
Good point. I'm trying to avoid fish but I'll look into that. My last kitty got so he would only eat fish flavors and I don't want that to happen.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Two foods that my (picky) cat took to right away were: Solid Gold Indigo Moon, and nature's variety ultimate protein: duck. From what I can tell, they're a lot more flavorful than most cat foods (both have especially high protein levels), so you might have good luck with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two foods that my (picky) cat took to right away were: Solid Gold Indigo Moon, and nature's variety ultimate protein: duck. From what I can tell, they're a lot more flavorful than most cat foods (both have especially high protein levels), so you might have good luck with them.
Thank you! The kibble they're currently shunning is the Nature's Variety rabbit. I really like that brand. I'll see if my local store has some samples of the duck for them to try.

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had recent success with an Iams wet food recipe; Country Style Turkey & Giblets Premium Pate. No corn, no wheat, no soy. I was surprised by the pleasant aroma; smells very much like a human-grade dinner. Best of all, it is inexpensive. My cat likes it a lot.

Also look into Purina Beyond, of which the Turkey & Sweet Potato recipe is her favorite. Another brand that was recommended to me is Simply Nourish from Petsmart. The very moderate online price for Simply Nourish is surprising, given how good the ingredient list looks.

shadowplay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One recent favorite of my kittens is Wild Calling Trot'n Tommy 96% Turkey. They've also liked Nutro Soft Loaf Chicken, Nutro Flaked Salmon, Blue Wilderness Chicken and Trout, Weruva Truluxe Mediterranean Harvest, Weruva The Double Dip Chicken and Beef. Taste of the Wild and TikiCat went over ok, but not their favorite. TBH their all-time favorite foods are Friskies Cat Concoctions, Fancy Feast with cheese, and Hill's Healthy Cuisine, though :dunno:

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For us Nutro Max Cat Chicken was a fail. Opening the can caused no reaction in my gal. After two hours 80% of the food is still in her bowl. I've got about 20 cans left of the case I purchased. She'll eat it only if I mix it with another canned recipe.