Kittens

Linda bellrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
last night my cat had kittens and she is a first time mommy so she didn't eat the sacks or placentas so now there all stuck together and tangled up with her tail in the middle. I don't know how to help her at all

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pinch the cords off about one inch from the tummy on each kitten, and dispose of the placentas. Are the kittens out of the sacs?

This should take care of it. You can also give mom clean bedding.

Did she lick the kittens clean? If not, just rub them down with a towel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Linda bellrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pinch the cords off about one inch from the tummy on each kitten, and dispose of the placentas. This should take care of it. You can also give mom clean bedding.

Did she lick the kittens clean? If not, just rub them down with a towel.
She did clean them all up and thank you for the advice. I'm scared to cut so my fiancé will be doing it when he gets here. I was just worried because there all wrapped up around her tail and she was getting scared

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can tie each cord off with thread or dental floss if you want. I hope you can separate them soon. It's not safe for them to be tangled like this.

Are the kittens able to nurse?

Linda bellrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can tie each cord off with thread or dental floss if you want. I hope you can separate them soon. It's not safe for them to be tangled like this.

Are the kittens able to nurse?
They are able to nurse in the position there in now. The mother is trying to stay calm and clean them to get her tail in stuck

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How soon will your fiance arrive? You can take a warm, damp wash cloth to her tail to help her.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't wait. They need to be able to move and mom needs to be able to move. You can just use your fingernails and pinch each one off about an inch away from the tum.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is no reason to be scared I thought it would be worse also but it's really not bad. Its not good to leave them as it can go downhill very fast. Please get then taken off and untangle.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's easy. Just snip each cord and remove the material. Nothing to fear! :)

Linda bellrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I was. But there was some damage to two of the kittens legs from the cords being wrapped so tight. We did loose one of the baby's from complications of being wrapped so long. It's been a sad couple days here but watching them all day for progress

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that. Cutting cords and de-tangling should always be done right away. I hope the others thrive.